Cast in a nuc, can I open it up to add frames?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nematode

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Yesterday I caught a cast swarm from an AS I did a few weeks ago. I must have missed a queen cell. I put them in a nuc hive which can hold five frames. I only put two frames of foundation in for them to get started on. Today there are a few bees flying in and out so I assume they are staying for the moment. I want to put the other three frames of foundation in, but my question is when? Should I do it now or wait a day or so. I don’t want to disturb them much and I don’t want the virgin queen flying out (or is this not likely). It was a cast of about two and a half pints in size.

If i were you I would just get them in asap

reason is they will be in 'frame drawing mode' and will build comb in places you dont want them too. Also the extra frames will help with keeping the hive warmer. Also, as she is a virgin queen, the less disturbance the better so to me its better to do it now rather than wait a day or so for them to settle, then unsettle them by putting extra frames in

I would all so feed them.

If i were you I would just get them in asap

reason is they will be in 'frame drawing mode' and will build comb in places you dont want them too. Also the extra frames will help with keeping the hive warmer. Also, as she is a virgin queen, the less disturbance the better so to me its better to do it now rather than wait a day or so for them to settle, then unsettle them by putting extra frames in

:iagree: as soon as poss before they fill it with wild comb stuck to roof!!!

Thank you for your quick replies. I took your advice and popped them in just now. They were quite docile and took a wee bit or convincing to shift over a bit for me to put the frames in. Put a bit of insulation on top of the crown board while I was there to help them a little. Now I think I will order a frame feeder.:D

It is a small cast not a prime swarm so they need feeding now, especial if the weather is poor

1lb jar filled with syrup with ten nail holes in lid inverted over the feed hole will do, check it every other night if you can

Last edited:
Have the same issue of a missing frame in a National hive which has had a new swarm added on Friday.

Quick inspection yesterday indicated they had not found the feed. Bees not at all well with the strong wind blowing straight into the entrance.

Adding some honey to the sugar syrup fixed the problem, so today there is a mad feeding frenzy going on with lots of flying bees also coming and going.

So when do you recommend I open the hive to insert the missing frame?

Adding some honey to the sugar syrup fixed the problem,

For the benefit of the newbies reading this: Any honey fed must not be shop bought honey, as it could quite likely contain AFB spores.

Latest posts

Back