Carpet of dead bees and brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I noticed today there was a carpet of dead bees on the open mesh floor in my hive and they were throwing out brood. When I opened up the hive there was no brood at all and the bees were pulling out the last of what was capped. I haven't treated them yet but have just brought them back from the heather. Any idea why they might do this?

ditto re cold - suggest you put the floor inset in and tape over the rear slot.

Mainly workers I presume and not drones!
Did you transport with them outside? Trailer or back of pick up?
As others have said they sound as though they have been badly chilled!
E

It would be difficult to chill a full 14x12 hive in September in Ireland. Sounds very like starvation.

Sounds like starvation. Have you hefted and fed?

Hygienic strains of honey will remove capped brood if they feel there is something wrong with them like varroa, a carpet of dead bees if not drones seems a bit more sinister and would check for nosema especially after coming of the heather

Yes hive is light, and when adding strips yesterday confirmed this. I added a gallon of 2:1 yesterday and will make up more today. So that's what starvation looks like then...

They definitely didn't get a chill, transported inside my van and haven't been opened up for a few weeks other than yesterday to add the strips.

Starvation yes. But it sounds like they belatedly got a bit of natural forage before your feed otherwise they wouldn't have had the ability to remove dead brood. If the bees are still active then you should be fine now. If they are looking a bit sluggish you could dribble a bit of the syrup over the bees and also dribble a bit into the empty combs for quicker access.

Had a look this morning, over half a gallon gone in about 16 hours, the mouth of the feeder was absolutely black with bees, think they will be ok ;) Where do you guys find the cheapest to buy sugar? Tesco was £1.79 for 2kg, would like to do better than that.

Also I pulled out the varroa board and it was covered in a carpet of thousands of varroa, glad I got the strips inserted...

Had a look this morning, over half a gallon gone in about 16 hours, the mouth of the feeder was absolutely black with bees, think they will be ok ;) Where do you guys find the cheapest to buy sugar? Tesco was £1.79 for 2kg, would like to do better than that.
Also I pulled out the varroa board and it was covered in a carpet of thousands of varroa, glad I got the strips inserted...

Personally, these days I prefer to use Ambrosia syrup for feeding this time of year. My BKA orders pallets at a time. Yours might too? Slightly more expensive that Tate & Lyle but formulated for bees and keeps for ever - sealed or unsealed. Last its always available if you put a can or three aside. Sugar syrup doesn't keep and and needs mixing before use.

...more expensive that Tate & Lyle but formulated for bees and keeps for ever...
What does "formulated for bees" mean? I've heard several people mention similar but never been clear how it is actually different/better than T&L.

After mixing up 6 litres of 2:1 last night, pouring into bottles to transport to apiary, I can certainly appreciate the practical benefits of buying a large container of Ambrosia - but is it actually any better for the bees?

Personally, these days I prefer to use Ambrosia syrup for feeding this time of year. My BKA orders pallets at a time. Yours might too? Slightly more expensive that Tate & Lyle but formulated for bees and keeps for ever - sealed or unsealed. Last its always available if you put a can or three aside. Sugar syrup doesn't keep and and needs mixing before use.

:iagree:
Just took delivery of a pallet for my BKA but quite a few of them for me, not all for immediate use.
How many times have you thought maybe a colony may benefit (but not necessarily die without) a drop of syrup but with the faff of mixing a little batch then going back to the hive you haven't bothered? or maybe that five litres of pre mixed syrup has been there for quite a while,easy to slap on in seconds but is it safe to use? and maybe that colony would have been that little stronger for a little boost at the end of the season if you had fed. I know I have which is why I got a stock in.
We had a colony at the association apiary which just wasn't going anywhere, we were at the point of accepting they were going to dwindle but at the time I was fiddling with a chunk of fondant to feed a new nuc so as it was going begging we slapped a bit on the hive. Within a few weeks the hive was bursting with brood, a super was on and we were taking frames of brood out to bolster another weaker hive.
Bit of subject drift there I know, but demonstrating the handiness of a few gallons of ready feed in the apiary.

Interesting - just priced 14kg of syrup with my local supplier, £17.50, seems a bit more expensive than sugar but a lot less hassle, think I will try it!

Interesting - just priced 14kg of syrup with my local supplier, £17.50, seems a bit more expensive than sugar but a lot less hassle, think I will try it!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. As for somebody questioning if it is formulated specically for bees, the best answer is get a can and see for himself, as the cans indicate it isn't the sort of stuff one would want in cooking or a cuppa tea. On the other hand it could be used for domestic purposes I suppose but not likely to be my choice EVER. I'm just not that desperate!!!!

What does "formulated for bees" mean? I've heard several people mention similar but never been clear how it is actually different/better than T&L.

After mixing up 6 litres of 2:1 last night, pouring into bottles to transport to apiary, I can certainly appreciate the practical benefits of buying a large container of Ambrosia - but is it actually any better for the bees?

Ambrosia bee feed syrup is a liquid prepared food which comes very close to natural bee nutrition. It consists of fructise, glucose and sucrose. Because of its very high concentration it is not susceptible to microbiological degradation. Its very high fructose content (40% on dry weight) prevents crystallisation. Ambrosia bee food syrup is a balanced liquid prepared food with a low HMF content. the pH value is adjusted to suit bees and contributes to the creation of healthy and strong Spring colonies. Available in 17.5 litre (25kg) jerry cans or we can dispense into your own containers.

Sugar syrup doesn't keep and and needs mixing before use.

Make it at 2:1 and it'll last - unchanged - from one season to the next.

Diluting this to 1:1 or 1:2 is a no-brainer, and much less trouble than the making of fresh syrup.

Bees do not need fructose in syrup, but it's always a good marketing pitch.

LJ

Bees do not need fructose in syrup,

No, but they take it down a lot easier, don't need to invert it themselves and this can sometimes make a difference.
Also don't get earache off SWMBO (or backache from pottering around the kitchen on my feet for ages) when sugar syrup production is in full swing!!:D BTW don't bother with the Ambrosia/ Belgosuc fondant that is an expensive (but no different) alternative to the baker's stuff

Latest posts

Back