candle labels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thurrock bees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
evening all
I have made some candles that I wish to sell via 2 of my outlets, I have priced the up and now hold a small but growing stock ready, the next problem is labels?! where do other members get their labels from/ do you use labels?
TM

If people need a label to tell them how to use them they shouldnt buy them haha

Some good information here from Hants trading standards.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstandards/product-safety/candles.htm

In September 2007 the labelling requirements of candles changed due to the publication of European Standard BS EN 15494:2007 - Candles - Product Safety Labels.

This standard specifies the format and content of product warning labels for indoor candles. The standard requires that all information supplied with a candle is presented in a clear format on the product and should be easily and non-verbally comprehensive. Such warnings may be on the product or packaging itself or available as a separate leaflet if appropriate.

Do they have labels when buying candles from garden centers ?

No labels on the ones we will be handing out in the cathedral for the Carol service.

The ceremonial ones we use are, I regret to say, plastic, with a lighter fuel reservoir!

Dusty.

Do they have labels when buying candles from garden centers ?

I believe that 'outdoor' candles are exempted from the labelling regs -but hopefully someone who knows for sure will be able to confirm that.

Last edited:
It doesn't actually state that it is a requirement to have a label. Just that if you do have one it has to state certain things. (That's the way I read it)

Craig

It doesn't actually state that it is a requirement to have a label. Just that if you do have one it has to state certain things. (That's the way I read it)

Craig

Which is backed up by the following from the same link:

The following standards are currently not called up in specific legislation but may assist with demonstrating due diligence under the General Product Safety Regulations 2005.

even so, as a start, it's informative at least in the sense of being an overview of what labels need to include

It is a requirement that the General Warning Sign (table one) be included in all labelling.......
In addition under the standard there are four mandatory safety messages which must be included on all labels (table one).

Last edited:
The ceremonial ones we use are, I regret to say, plastic, with a lighter fuel reservoir!

Dusty.

If I was you Dusty I would see that as my mission to supply decent candles and what could not be more fantastic than from the bees on the roof.

Dusty.

As a former choirboy ... and knowing what we used to get up to when the Clergy weren't looking ... I had this mental picture of some little demons turning the wick of the lighter fuel reservoir up to maximum and your processional being headed by something approaching a flame thrower !!

Latest posts

Back