Can you tell me what an eke is?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustic-Crafts

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am interested in keeping bees and I am at an early reading stage, I understand the Brood box and supers, queen ex, but I cannot find an explanation for the eke and why a 6" hive lid is better than a 4". Also what is the Crown board for?

an eke is just a very shallow box/frame (say 5cm) to allow space eg for apiguard treatment.

a crownboard is just the top of the hive

deeper roofs are less likely to blow off and have more space to allow top insulation.

some time you need to feed bees with a sugar syrup if you have bees in the brood box you would use a crown board like a lid on top of the brood it has a hole which you can put an up turned jar over it and then by using a super box then the roof it gives the jar enough room to keep the jar safe
i hope that helps explain or have i confused you more bee-smillie

The noise a mouse makes or what some people make when they see one...

No, what the doc said above.

Just to confuse a few novice bee keepers we talk in riddles as well.

Crown board and feeder board and deep national frames and 14x12 frames are two good examples. As for shallows/super frames for langstroth well thats and whole new thread in itself depending on where you buy the chambers from.
:eek:

If in doubt keep it simple and the bees will sort things out for themselves most of the time.

Welcome, and a nuc is not a Domesday guided missile !!! although you sometimes wish you had one for your hive lol

And don't make the same mistake as one beekeeper made and confuse an eke with an elk - although it is an easy mistake to make:D

I made the mistake of mixing up an eke and a uke.

Still, it meant I could accompany the queen when she started piping.
We played that old swarming song:

"I'm hanging on a lamppost at the corner of the street
In case a certain little queenie goes by...."

D

For the newbies sake an eke is an extra as in 'To eke it out @:)
The Yanks call it a shim I believe .
It's just a way of creating extra room if and when required !
There! back to the horrendous puns :D
VM

A crown board with a Porter sized hole for feeding can also be used as a clearer board if a Porter escape is fitted, the clearer board is placed between the brood and super to clear bees from the super through a one way door system... multifunctionallity.... but you would still need a crown board to cover the top, then it becomes a quilt!

Now 10 other beekeeperers will dis me !

To keep it simple lets stick with the standard national hive.

The hive body boxes come in 2 sizes, 'deep' or 'shallow'. The deep boxes are generally used to hold the brood, and are therefore often called 'brood boxes'. The shallows are generally used to hold stored honey, above the brood box (and with a queen excluder to stop her going up into it and laying eggs). Because these are placed above the hive, they are called 'supers'.

An eke is a much smaller box, so called as it allowed/allows a few extra inches of comb height and therefore allowed the beekeeper to 'eke out' a bit more honey from each comb. Having said that, we dont generally use ekes for that purpose, we tend to use them to allow us to put something on top of a deep or shallow box without it being crushed by the bottom of the box above (with frames in). An example is an apiguard tray, but they can also be used to feed fondant, or pollen pattys, or use other varroa treatments like apilife var strips.

In other words, its a useful bit of kit, and the reason we use an eke where possible, as opposed to an empty shallow box, is that there is less empty space added for the bees to keep warm.

Underneath the brood/deep you obviously have a floor (on a stand maybe). The top of the hive is capped off with the crown board, it sits on the crown of the hive. Technically speaking a crown board is just a plain board (or sheet of perspex!), however some come with holes in which allow us to both feed through those holes by placing a feeder above them (and not disrupting the hive), and they can also be used to clear bees out of a super which we want to extract. By putting 'porter escapes' in the holes, and the super full of frames of honey above the crownboard, the bees on those frames will want to get back inside the hive to the pheramones - and the porter escapes allow them to go into the hive, but not come back through. In theory!

A Crown Board has no holes in it.

A feeder board does and can also double with the use of the diabolical portman escapes as a clearer board.

An Eke originally was an extension piece to a skep, hence the expression to eke something out.

PH

A "feeder board" with the hold blocked off = a crown board.

There is little point telling someone who is new and is asking the question that it is not a crownboard. If you go onto the biggest bee equipment retailer in the uk's website, and check their hive parts, their "crownboard" is the board with feeder holes.

One of the other uses of an Eke is to make the standard deep brood into a 14x12 sized brood, to alleviate the need of running a brood and a half ( a brood and a super that the queen has freedom to roam to)

define "quilt" anyone.....

must get my mother in law to knit me an eke to convert my standard brood skep into a jumbo... or is it 14 x 12..

... is it still raining?

Last edited:
define "quilt" anyone.....

must get my mother in law to knit me an eke to convert my standard brood skep into a jumbo... or is it 14 x 12..

... is it still raining?
My mate used nothing else :) .
His were squares of canvas with a feeding hole in the centre with a flap of canvas covering it , as he worked a colony he pulled back the quilt for a couple of frames only and so on until the middle frame , then worked from the other side in a similar manner. Yes he ran his bees the cold way .
So his quilts were in fact quilts :)
VM

Latest posts

Back