Can you leave made up frames outside in freezing temps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMH

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I'm struggling with space for all my first fix frames. I also find it way quicker to complete first and second fix and get the foundarion on all in one hit.

I want to go and put the frames with wax foundation outside in the hives and leave them until they are needed.

It's seems fine to leave drawn combs outside of even in the freezer, so surely it's the same with wax foundation right?

PS. An affirmative answer will help my relationship!! :(

FYI
68ef771037785717eab304f9b9013a9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Cold will make the sheets of foundation brittle, so avoid banging them about, but that should not be a problem if storing them in empty hives. I do not add foundation to frames until just before putting it into colonies. That way it is still nice and fresh. Some on here say it makes no difference to the bees though. I hope you have good flows or plenty of sugar to get all those drawn out.

I think it's called ever optimistic expansion !

I ran out of supers twice last season even though I'd bought 100 more and made them up the previous winter 17/18 and have another 200 assembled already for 2019.

I've learned over the years that keeping them outside isn't generally a problem - yes the wax gets a bloom and goes a little brittle but this soon disappears when on a hive in a flow. However, unless you keep them stacked under a shelter, you'll find moisture gets into the super as the bees haven't propolised up around the top and bottom surfaces. Not a lot but the side of the stacks facing the weather tend to get much wetter.

Hence my other project (amongst many) this winter is to construct a lean to on the side of the garage and a palletised open fronted stack area to hold kit ready for when the season kicks off.

There's always something to do in the bee-yard. At least I've finished making up the 1000s of super frames and the 1000 or so brood frames I need for comb replacement and expansions

never a dull moment !

KR

S

I've done the same, fully made up frames stored in Nucs, Supers and Hives in the bee shed, I plan to whiz a hairdryer over them just before use to freshen them up.

I made up about 200 as first fix, with a view of putting the foundation in afterwards but it just seems like such duplication of effort and unnecessary storage!

I think i will go down the route of finishing the frame and leaving it all outside. Its not going to get removed again, rather the bees will be installed so should limit any issues with it becoming brittle.

I have 1500 in total to complete and 38 empty hives... sigh...

Yes, need good flows to get everything drawn this year but have some huge nucs on trebles ready to install in early spring, so that should help

I wouldn't leave them on their sides in a warm room the wax will sag.

Maybe its time to invest in a 'lockup' or a shed / honey room.

And a few outers of Candipol... to get that lot drawn out!!!

Why did you not put the made up frame straight into the boxes??

:calmdown:

Last edited:
Double up

Last edited:
is the rad disabled to keep the wife out by any chance

Luckily, we have two lounges. One is kept clean, the other is my bee room!

I want to get a log cabin in the garden but we are looking at moving house and buying a farm with a few outbuildings and some land so am holding off for the time being.

I'll print that picture out and use it as 'exhibit A' when any comments are made about my 'bee stuff' encroaching on what others call normal family life.

Or is it the first bee shed with a chandelier?

No way my wife will let me use a lounge (or any room in the house) as a bee room. Definitely a keeper this one 😉

Latest posts

Back