Broodless

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonych224

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Whilst watching over the weeks for the queen reducing laying, there was minimal eggs and larvae and sealed brood.

As it was all going nicely I decided to leave them for a couple of weeks to the next full inspection but instead at the mid point of the 2 weeks I start with ApilLife Var as the start of the treatment. 7 days in to the treatment it's time for the full inspection.

To my horror there is absolutely no brood in any stage! is this normal ? I located the queen she is still there although her abdomen is looking rather much smaller than at the height of the summer, she is not far off the size of a worker.

I have not engaged in any feeding of syrup yet as they seem to have plenty of honey stores although not much pollen, the queen has 3-4 frames on which there is plenty of room for her to lay. I have taken the ApiLife off now as it might be a factor??? Inspection board proved a very low varroa count after the week.

14x12 and down to just the BB now, no supers.

I appreciate any advice.

Check for nosema? Possibly just gone off-lay due to a change in the weather or treatment.

Try feeding them; if they refuse to take it and are not foraging def check as above.

I run 14 x 12 and have 4
Last year I used Apilife (as the previous year but on Nationals)
In two colonies the queens stopped laying, one for about two weeks and one entirely....never ever re-started and the colony dwindled away.
The other two never missed a beat; all Buckfast bees, all 2012 queens.
Of the two that did stop one was a poly and the other wood. It was the wooden one that dwindled away.
Have you checked for Nosema?
You never can tell.

Alas I do not have a microscope and my BKA don't do Nosema testing.. I think a feed with some Nosevit or Hive Alive ?? As a precaution.

Should this be a winter feed or a spring feed so they use it as if they store it she could run our of space ?

why are you still inspecting regularly?

many queens stop laying on thymol treatment.

all you are doing is worrying yourself (and reducing effectiveness of the ALV treatment - hive should only be opened quickly to add next biscuit).

IF the queen is nosemic, bye bye colony. That is all. Don't know and can't tell from my chair, here, which scenario is occurring, but just be warned. It does happen.

why are you still inspecting regularly?

many queens stop laying on thymol treatment.

...or without, due to genetics/weather changes etc. Colonies vary hugely at this time of year: we have some with several frames of sealed and some queens on holiday. No matter if things have looked good to date and there's a queen.

Hi Tonych,
I have just discovered that I have one like that. Stopped laying during Thymol. Have fed and hive now has 7 frames of stores. Seemed very happy when inspected and small cup sized empty areas in three frames - so here's hoping. They don't exactly need more numbers at the moment just winter bees, so I am hoping that they are timing it for the main Ivy flow in my area. I am inspecting again before end of this warm spell as I can unite with spare nuc. Hopefully just a brood break for both of us or they could have done a Ted Hooper stopped laying by the end of August!

Alas I do not have a microscope and my BKA don't do Nosema testing.. I think a feed with some Nosevit or Hive Alive ?? As a precaution.

Should this be a winter feed or a spring feed so they use it as if they store it she could run our of space ?

Has anyone demonstrated how to draw out a bees alimentary canal for a crude visual Nosema check?

Latest posts

Back