Brood spreading

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But intresting is nowadays to see, how the weather system plays together with North American weather. Best they are seen in internet.

We talked 10 years ago about "green house effect" when we had very warm winter, but we did not noticed that in North America a high pressure stand on its place and made "ice age" in Canada. Siberia is not only place with plays weather game between Europe.

My summer cottage are is the warmest area in Finland. The Russian heat waves reaches this place first. On my city home area the sea keeps the weather even and area seldom has hard frost or peak hot days.

Our sea is still open there and since now sun start to melt sea ice.

But however. Some guys here read half year forecast from frogs and from spruce needles and it is a great pleasure to read what they have found out with their "50 years experience". It needs a huge work to achieve a tittle of " A Mad of the Nation". Many try it but a few achieve it.

presumably because you couldn't work out how to get to the classroom?
Sounds like he struggled to find the bus stop!

sure sure. i live in Helsinki on the island of sea surrounded salt water. Salt content is only 0,5% compared to your 3%.

Not exactly an island in the meteorological sense you're an archipelago on a rather large isthmus if you like, bounded by an inland sea of low salinity and the continent of Northern Europe, sheltered from the atlantic by Sweden and affected by the gulf stream.
Sorry to use all this geographical jargon Finman
Technically half of Dutch are under sea. What is it called then.
You tell me you're the goegraphy teacher - or not as the case may be!:)

Can we just agree that the weather patterns in Great Britain are totally different to Finland - in fact the weather in Britain is totally different in each corner of the islands! apart from rain ( for those in the Southern counties of England the definition of rain is:the condensed moisture of the atmosphere falling visibly in separate drops.

I would go a great deal further, the UK climate does not exist as such, there are I believe hundreds if not thousands of micro climates.

I have seen a substantial difference with in 200 yds.

For many years I talked near daily to a bee farmer and his weather was almost always different to mine, most often completely the opposite. Distance? 60 miles west by forty north.

Good idea re colored paper, of which I have some, as last night I used squared paper but it was not a success.

PH

Maritime climate = mild winters, mild summers
Continental climate = cold winters, hot summers.

edit:

and of course climate and weather are not the same thing: "Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get."

Last edited:
I am surprised Finman that given the fact you studies geography you haven't come across "Maritime climate". We certainly covered it in Geography at school.

I suspect Finman may have acome across 'maritime climate'. Try looking at Helsinki on a map. :rolleyes:

I suspect Finman may have acome across 'maritime climate'. Try looking at Helsinki on a map. :rolleyes:

I am aware of where |Helsinki is but it takes more than being near to the sea to put you into the Maritime Climate. It is also called Marine west coast climate. The baltic is sufficiently surrounded by land that I think you will find officially Maritime Climate does not extend much if al all part the Kattegat.

Sounds like he struggled to find the bus stop!

You tell me you're the goegraphy teacher - or not as the case may be!:)

Can we just agree that the weather patterns in Great Britain are totally different to Finland - in fact the weather in Britain is totally different in each corner of the islands! apart from rain ( for those in the Southern counties of England the definition of rain is:the condensed moisture of the atmosphere falling visibly in separate drops.

what is the difference of Spring coming between Britain and Finland.
Asked that from a Finnish lady, who had lived in Milton Keynes 50 years. She said that there is a vast variation. The difference between years may be months.

Our Spring goes quite exactly with calendar. Snow melt away inthe first half of April. Willows start to bloom (Salix caprea) 1.5. Variations are rare. Dandelion stop blooming 10.6.
All nectar flowers are away 10.8...

Summer is short. There is not much space to change the limits.

What makes it so exact is the angle of sunshine and the day length.

Ealy Spring or late Spring, the difference is 2 weeks and not much more.

I am aware of where |Helsinki is but it takes more than being near to the sea to put you into the Maritime Climate. It is also called Marine west coast climate. The baltic is sufficiently surrounded by land that I think you will find officially Maritime Climate does not extend much if al all part the Kattegat.

:iagree:

what is the difference of Spring coming between Britain and Finland.
Asked that from a Finnish lady, who had lived in Milton Keynes 50 years. She said that there is a vast variation. The difference between years may be months.

Our Spring goes quite exactly with calendar. Snow melt away inthe first half of April. Willows start to bloom (Salix caprea) 1.5. Variations are rare. Dandelion stop blooming 10.6.
All nectar flowers are away 10.8...

Summer is short. There is not much space to change the limits.

What makes it so exact is the angle of sunshine and the day length.

Ealy Spring or late Spring, the difference is 2 weeks and not much more.

Exactly - continental climate as opposed to maritime weather QED (that's latin you know :D)

Typical of a British discussion really - starts off sensibly discussing the merits of working the brood, ends up:

Talking about the weather!!

:smilielol5:

Now i'm laughing at my own jokes!

Ok.
What ever you do to your hives, the reason is maritime climate.
I understand. Yes.

A good video from our main travelling harbour.

Those ferries go every day between Helsinki - Stockholm. So they keep the ice route open. There is a real noice inside the chip when it pushes itself against the ice pieces. The vessels are so called "ice strengtened". Non strengtened have no lisence to sail inside ice fields.

Back