Brood Frames- what to do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigger

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I cut the foundation out of most of my Br frames and scraped them down. They're from my own hives and no sign of serious disease (?? fingers crossed)

Based on advice from respected members here (to another member) I'd be please not to engage with steam/soda/acid etc.

But I have about 10 brood frames similar to the one in the photo, some with darker wax. It seems wasteful to thrash them.

The uncapped portion contains something (shiny).

What to do?

Thank you all.

Attachments

• Brood Frame.JPG
    Brood Frame.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Not sure what you mean by shiny… the only shiny bits I can see look like a bit of weeping honey from above.

Something shiny ? In the cells or on the surface of the comb ? In the cells uncapped nectar or honey on the surface slug trails.

The easierst and safest way to clean frames is to wash them in a hot solution of washing soda ... pefectly safe -- just rubber gloves and an old washing up brush. I have an old Baby burco boiler ... cost me a tenner second hand. Takes three or four frames at a time, give them a couple of minutes in the hot solution then scrub them off and rinse in clean water. As one comes out another goes in and in the time it takes to scrub one off the next one is cooking.

Something shiny ? In the cells or on the surface of the comb ? In the cells uncapped nectar or honey on the surface slug trails.

The easierst and safest way to clean frames is to wash them in a hot solution of washing soda ... pefectly safe -- just rubber gloves and an old washing up brush. I have an old Baby burco boiler ... cost me a tenner second hand. Takes three or four frames at a time, give them a couple of minutes in the hot solution then scrub them off and rinse in clean water. As one comes out another goes in and in the time it takes to scrub one off the next one is cooking.
A few years ago l boiled 800 frames in caustic soda,then in clean water,they came out very clean,the problem is the waste l still have it in tubs.looking for a neutraliser,you need a dry warm time to dry them,l used a car off to the scrapper.they say you should re nail,

A few years ago l boiled 800 frames in caustic soda,then in clean water,they came out very clean,the problem is the waste l still have it in tubs.looking for a neutraliser,you need a dry warm time to dry them,l used a car off to the scrapper.they say you should re nail,
You want to use soda crystals not caustic soda!

Lots of people use NaOH as drain cleaner. I'd arrange your waste liquid to slowly drip/dribble down the drain over a couple of days. Even helps clear any "fatbergs".

Lots of people use NaOH as drain cleaner. I'd arrange your waste liquid to slowly drip/dribble down the drain over a couple of days. Even helps clear any "fatbergs".
Thanks l like to clear up completely.lt doesn’t decay and as an alkali it is still eleven on the test,l don’t know what it started out at.thanks for the help.planted fifty yellow flags to day.no good for honey,but always fascinated by them since a very young age.

The uncapped portion contains something (shiny).
The comb in the photo looks fine. The shiny is likely to be uncapped nectar or glazed pollen. Dig some out and taste it. Why not seal & store the frames and use later as bait comb for a swarm?

You didn't say how many frames you have in total, nor whether you want to clean & re-use them.

If you have many then the best method is to use washing soda & boiling water.

Attachments

• Hive_Cleaning_and_Sterilisation.pdf
    951.9 KB · Views: 3
Back