Brood and a half - how should it be done?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the big difference is of course between those who are keeping bees as a hobby and those for whom beekeeping is a hobby.

Big difference.[/

Could you possibly clarify... ?

well - in one category i would place someone with a single WBC at the end of the garden, who does full inspections at every possible opportunity (2-3 times per week, going back through frames and only stopping each time once queen spotted). Probably get some honey every year, knocks down queen cells at every opportunity, loses a regular swarm etc etc.

the other manages their colony(s) and gets pleasure from that.

well - in one category i would place someone with a single WBC at the end of the garden, who does full inspections at every possible opportunity (2-3 times per week, going back through frames and only stopping each time once queen spotted). Probably get some honey every year, knocks down queen cells at every opportunity, loses a regular swarm etc etc.

I can't imagine many inspecting 2-3 x a week. I think they exist only in your imagination Dr S. (I hope.)
Cazza

Answer: never

Either move to a single bigger brood box, or move to two brood boxes of the same size. Brood and a half is an abomination.

:)

Answer: never

Either move to a single bigger brood box, or move to two brood boxes of the same size. Brood and a half is an abomination.

:)

Thats a bit strong Danbee, I agree brood and a half isnt ideal,, but I know of many good beekeepers who get on with the system very well.

Latest posts

Back