Breakfast Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMAE

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've been asked to supply small jars (45ml) for a local Inn for their breakfast trays.

As these are technically being given to the guests rather than sold, do the standard labelling rules apply?

Curious as trying to keep labels legible as so small!

Thanks

I think you're trying to get round the regs on a technicality but if push came to shove, I don't think the argument would stand up - YOU are selling the honey, whether or not it can be argued that your customer is giving it away (even that is debatable as I would consider the inn's clients are paying for the honey with their "breakfast" fee.

Ask yourself why the labelling regulations exit. They are there to provide traceability in the event of a problem. The local address on the label adds to the value of the honey as far as the inn owner is concerned - honey produced half a mile from the inn - how local is that?

You might even get inn customers turning up at your door wanting to buy a jar of delicious honey they just had at the inn.

Look carefully at your costings as I think the mini-jars could be more expensive than the honey, unless you go plastic.

CVB

I'd have to check, but I think those size jars are exempt from most of the labelling regulations. But if not, the hotel may be giving them away - but you're not!

Thanks, and agreed on all points really.
Fair point on the costing of the jars- much appreciated....this as well as the fact they are going to be a right royal pain to process and fill!
I'll aim to keep to the standard info on the label and try different fonts so that its legible...even after a good night in the Inn!
Cheers
AMAE

I would ring your local authorities environmental health department or trading standards to get clarification, they are usually very helpful.
Many of the labeling regulations do not apply to local sales. For instance all I need to put on a jar of my honey at a farmers market are the words Honey and a weight. Can be written in felt tip pen at any font size, same applies to local sales from the gate or to local shops. You may find it unnecessary to go to great lengths putting correct font size on etc. It's very misunderstood legislation when it comes to the small scale seller and it's why I would check with your local authority. Different areas have different policies.

Hi thornes sell labels for 1.5oz jars just had some sent approx £16.00 for 500 tiny labels 2 days from order which is great .

I've been asked to supply small jars (45ml) for a local Inn for their breakfast trays.

As these are technically being given to the guests rather than sold, do the standard labelling rules apply?

Curious as trying to keep labels legible as so small!

Thanks

Surely it can be a note paper, which is tied to the jar.

For instance all I need to put on a jar of my honey at a farmers market are the words Honey and a weight. Can be written in felt tip pen at any font size, same applies to local sales from the gate or to local shops.

And here goes the first installment of duff information

And here goes the first installment of duff information
I work closely with environmental health in my business, as a professional I need to. It's why my advice is always contact your own local authority for clarification and guidance in their area. It's what they are there for and they are more than pleased to help and advise over the phone. It would also help prevent people taking armchair advice from well meaning amateurs who think they know the answer. I don't think this is duff information to give anyone but you are welcome to your own opinion.

This is also the base requirement in Ceredigion, As the buyer will be able to come to the house or point you out on the market stall. Local authorities talk to Bee Group. they will encourage you to register but not legal requirement. See honey as very low risk.

Advice from Hampshire County Council - http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingsta...s-business/ts-business-food/tsguide-honey.htm - says:-
  1. Honey sold only from the premises on which it was packed does not need to be lot-marked. However, it is advisable to lot-mark all jars anyway, so that if there is a problem, the honey can be easily traced back to the batch from which it came
  2. Individual portions of 25g or less are exempt from compulsory weight declarations.

This is advice from HCC trading standards - it is not the regulations themselves. They're too long to quote here.

CVB

Advice from Hampshire County Council - http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingsta...s-business/ts-business-food/tsguide-honey.htm - says:-
  1. Honey sold only from the premises on which it was packed does not need to be lot-marked. However, it is advisable to lot-mark all jars anyway, so that if there is a problem, the honey can be easily traced back to the batch from which it came
  2. Individual portions of 25g or less are exempt from compulsory weight declarations.

This is advice from HCC trading standards - it is not the regulations themselves. They're too long to quote here.

CVB

:iagree:
There's a difference between lot markings and the other statutory requirements (such as BB date, address, weight etc) so selling honey at a market or through a retailer needs all the gubbins. I thought I'd read there was an exemption for the smaller pots

According to the environmental health people from Rydale, Hambledon and Teesside district councils, honey on a farmers market or house sales only requires the words Honey and a weight, no gubbins about font sizes, address etc. Although they are happier if you have everything on there, but no legal compulsion Retailing is very different matter and should not be confused with direct sales where you, the producer, are selling your product directly to the public. Trace-ability is the issue and as Rogue drone has already pointed out it is easy to trace you back in these face to face sales situations.
You may have different regulations apply in Wales and we all may have different regulations to abide by after we eventually leave the EU.
If in doubt consult your local authority for advice concerning your area.

45ml jars will hold about 60g, so my veiw is they need correct labels

Also new legislation appears to have come in to force on 13th December 2014 and i have yet to work out all the exemption for direct sales

quote from goverment web site

Food information to consumers: quantity labelling

Since 13 December 2014 the rules on quantity labelling of pre-packaged foods have changed. Businesses must comply with the mandatory quantity labelling requirements of EU Regulation No 1169/2011 on the provision of food information to consumers (FIC) which applies directly to UK businesses.

The FIC quantity labelling requirements are applicable to those packaged foods intended for sale to the final consumer or mass caterer above 5 g or 5 ml.

What’s changed since 13 December 2014?

a new universal quantity labelling rule which requires weight or volume to be labelled, will apply to all packaged foods of 5 g or 5 ml or more
the former national exemptions for small packages or specific products have been revoked,the former national rules on quantity marking of foods have been retained only where they apply to loose foods, foods sold in open containers, foods sold for direct sale or certain wholesale transactions

What’s changed since 13 December 2014?

a new universal quantity labelling rule which requires weight or volume to be labelled, will apply to all packaged foods of 5 g or 5 ml or more
the former national exemptions for small packages or specific products have been revoked,the former national rules on quantity marking of foods have been retained only where they apply to loose foods, foods sold in open containers, foods sold for direct sale or certain wholesale transactions

Somebody ought to tell Hampshire CC! It's disappointing, isn't it, that a statutory authority isn't up to date with the regulations.

CVB

For anyone here who still cares about facts, the England Honey Regs are here and are inconsistent with a lot of the above. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/1348/pdfs/uksi_20151348_en.pdf

The Wales Regs are here http://senedd.assembly.wales/documents/s42672/CLA563 - The Honey Wales Regulations 2015.pdf

I have to say, they look remarkably similar at first glance

"Mass caterers" defined here http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32011R1169&from=EN

ADD Weights and Measures Regs here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/659/introduction/made

ADD ADD Relevant W+M exemption NB NOT an exemption to Honey Regs: "Individual portion of a food intended as a minor accompaniment to another food or another service. This includes butter and other fat spreads, milk, cream and cheeses, jams and marmalades, mustards, sauces, tea, coffee and sugar, and another service includes the provision of sleeping accommodation at an hotel or other establishment at which such accommodation is provided by way of trade or business. 25 g or 25 ml"

That Hants link looks pretty accurate (or at least: "close enough"; we can perhaps quibble over "individual portions") and useful to avoid wading through all the boilerplate.

Last edited:
According to the environmental health people from Rydale, Hambledon and Teesside district councils, honey on a farmers market or house sales only requires the words Honey and a weight, no gubbins about font sizes, address etc. Although they are happier if you have everything on there, but no legal compulsion Retailing is very different matter and should not be confused with direct sales where you, the producer, are selling your product directly to the public. Trace-ability is the issue and as Rogue drone has already pointed out it is easy to trace you back in these face to face sales situations.
You may have different regulations apply in Wales and we all may have different regulations to abide by after we eventually leave the EU.
If in doubt consult your local authority for advice concerning your area.

This is where you havr gone wrong. EHOs are for hygiene not labelling so have no idea what they are talking about re what goes on the label. If you want the definitive advice about labelling you MUST go to trading standards dept.

For anyone here who still cares about facts, the England Honey Regs are here and are inconsistent with a lot of the above. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/1348/pdfs/uksi_20151348_en.pdf

The Wales Regs are here http://senedd.assembly.wales/documents/s42672/CLA563 - The Honey Wales Regulations 2015.pdf

I have to say, they look remarkably similar at first glance

"Mass caterers" defined here http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32011R1169&from=EN

ADD Weights and Measures Regs here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/659/introduction/made

ADD ADD Relevant W+M exemption NB NOT an exemption to Honey Regs: "Individual portion of a food intended as a minor accompaniment to another food or another service. This includes butter and other fat spreads, milk, cream and cheeses, jams and marmalades, mustards, sauces, tea, coffee and sugar, and another service includes the provision of sleeping accommodation at an hotel or other establishment at which such accommodation is provided by way of trade or business. 25 g or 25 ml"

That Hants link looks pretty accurate (or at least: "close enough"; we can perhaps quibble over "individual portions") and useful to avoid wading through all the boilerplate.

Thanks for going to the trouble to dig out that lot - you've restored my faith in Hants CC!

Seriously though, the Hants stuff could possibly be improved by citing where each of their precis points comes from - Labelling Regs, Honey Regs, Weights and Measures Regs, etc. so that people reading it could go to the actual wording of the regulation to see the context and intent of what's in Hampshire's precis.

CVB

Back