Books

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I fancy getting a book or 2. I have a few already hoopers and beekeeping for dummies off the top of my head. Looking for one that's fairly update in terms of varroa and swarms. Or just any book you lot enjoyed really :)

I keep Hooper's book to hand most of the time. The other good intro is the Haynes book on bees. It's not always right - but it is clear and easy to follow.

I discovered quite early on that the reason hives have a big slot as an entrance is so you can shove the books in there for the bees to read because my little darlings haven't got a clue what they are meant to be doing.

They've forgotten how to bee (according to the books).

If you want to get a little deeper into how bees work, rather than their direct management you can't do better than The Buzz About Bees by Jürgen Tautz and Honeybee Democracy by Thomas Seeley

If you want to get a little deeper into how bees work, rather than their direct management you can't do better than The Buzz About Bees by Jürgen Tautz and Honeybee Democracy by Thomas Seeley
That book has certainly opened my eyes on there Biology, i have not read through the full book as i just pick it up and read through where ever i have opened it and no matter which page i land on i get hooked.

Last edited:
Both Celia Davis Books.
Winston, Biology of the honeybee

Then the Wally Shaw booklets on swarming free on
http://www.wbka.com/library/library-documents/

And then dissection
http://www.coloss.org/beebook/I/anatomy

And after that get the BBKA recommended reading list and see what's on that.

I didn't think the original booklet was written by Wally Shaw ? I don't know why he has claimed himself as the author
http://www.wbka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/wbka-booklet-english-PDF.pdf

Last edited:
My Best advice to you is read Haynes Beekeepers Manual and don't take anything literally what you read or see in the media for granted. Explore all avenues and get a better understanding of what good advise really is. Someone who writes a book is not necessarily a good beekeepers and the same goes for YouTube. In time adapt your beekeeping to suit you and your time scale. There are only a handful of things to know to keep bees. What a bee looks like under a microscope is not relevant to keeping bees successfully

My Best advice to you is read Haynes Beekeepers Manual and don't take anything literally what you read or see in the media for granted. Explore all avenues and get a better understanding of what good advise really is. Someone who writes a book is not necessarily a good beekeepers and the same goes for YouTube. In time adapt your beekeeping to suit you and your time scale. There are only a handful of things to know to keep bees. What a bee looks like under a microscope is not relevant to keeping bees successfully
That is why i like The Buzz About Bees by Tautz, it is more about their behavior and why and how they do what they do, not so much on hive management but interesting stuff all the same, i also have the Haynes Manual which i had several years before i got bees which definitely programed me in the right direction, it does have some faults in the text but as you go along you can pick through the bad bits with experience.

Haynes Bee Manual is really good. Another one I can think of is Bees at the Bottom of the Garden by Alan Campion. Both really good books, found them really helpful when I started beekeeping.

I'm reading E.B.Wedmore at the moment - published 1932, but I've got the updated 1947 edition. It's full of fascinating snippets and gems of common sense and observation that I've never considered but seem obvious when you read them.
I was surprised to find a couple of mentions of Manuka honey in there too, considering it's marketed as a new wonder food these days.

Last edited:
Cheers all given me a few books to work my way through on rainy days :)

Back