Blocking entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IainMcT

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello, only been keeping bees for a couple of years. Generally my three hives and very friendly and placid until I mow the lawn. I'm getting a bit fed up of being stung. Does anyone have any recommendations please for blocking the hive entrances (National hives) temporarily so that I can mow the area of lawn around them at night? Wondered if there was some sort of insert I can use.
Thank you in advance.

Try cutting a piece of sponge / foam to size. Easy to quickly block the entrance and remove without harming any bees

Hello, only been keeping bees for a couple of years. Generally my three hives and very friendly and placid until I mow the lawn. I'm getting a bit fed up of being stung. Does anyone have any recommendations please for blocking the hive entrances (National hives) temporarily so that I can mow the area of lawn around them at night? Wondered if there was some sort of insert I can use.
Thank you in advance.
Grass, foam, gaffa tape, or a piece of tile batton across your entrance (if you have landing boards.

Thank you in advance.
If it is really hot ( 20c is tropical up here) Mr Speybee mows in full beekeeping gear, without blocking them

If it is really hot ( 20c is tropical up here) Mr Speybee mows in full beekeeping gear, without blocking them
I bet he gets a sweat on? imo blocking them up would be better and safer. unless it's at dusk or just before when the residents are all at home snuggling.

I bet he gets a sweat on? imo blocking them up would be better and safer. unless it's at dusk or just before when the residents are all at home snuggling.
[/QUOTE
T- shirt and shorts under the bee suit, veil and mows grass on ride on mower after teatime= dusk
He zooms round at breakneck speed

Anything you can plug the gap and you can pull out and leg it quickly will do the job.

Don't mow the lawn
And encourage even more rodents?
As much as I love your advice, afraid I’m passing on this.
I’ve got loads of fruit trees, lime Tillia trees, mixed borders, ornamental Heather, geranium, ivy, Sloe berry hedges to keep the entire bee population happy.
I’ve been doing my bit for decades but I will be grubbing a strip around the grass and scatter meadow mix at a foot wide max, all round perimeter, but the rest of grass gets a short back and sides.

Have you ever shined a torch in a entrance?
Beehive No, don’t fancy getting stung.
Mower No, don’t mow grass at night.
I don’t mow any grass full stop, that’s him indoors remit.

My son says to me today, dad, Best reschedule the trap outs until next week, we have another cold front hitting on Sunday... Low of 18 deg C...
I dont think we know what cold is.....

My son says to me today, dad, Best reschedule the trap outs until next week, we have another cold front hitting on Sunday... Low of 18 deg C...
I dont think we know what cold is.....
Temperatures I only dream of

Please tell us?
I can imagine ,,,,, but would rather not put my theory to the test... ZAP ?
It's OK when there clustered, but if there active ,guard bees will come out and try and fly towards the light, but because its dark they can't fly properly and almost fly hop over the ground.

It's OK when there clustered, but if there active ,guard bees will come out and try and fly towards the light, but because its dark they can't fly properly and almost fly hop over the ground.
Oh No!
This is what I was dreading..... I'm going to have to see this for myself..... (Huge sigh,,,,)
Guard bees "fly hopping" around...... This I have to see....

Best time to test is when we have quests I imagine,,,,, yep! when I'm full of "Prune Juice" and as Brave as ????? - Update to follow.

Latest posts

Back