God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWMBO's tomatoes planted in Quadgrow self watering system. Peppers down the middle and melons & cucumbers at the end.

Attachments

• IMG_1822.jpeg
    IMG_1822.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1823.jpeg
    IMG_1823.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1824.jpeg
    IMG_1824.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Our tomatoes are just beginning to set and out peas are in full flower and the first couple of pods are visible.

Attachments

• IMG_20240515_112028_942.jpg
    IMG_20240515_112028_942.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240515_111942_955.jpg
    IMG_20240515_111942_955.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
That's excellent news. I hope they do well. How did you keep them over Winter?

James
In an unheated greenhouse but in a mini greenhouse (clear polythene cover) inside the greenhouse. Other than that, cut the brown bits of the stems back and left the green bits. Occasional small amount of water occasionally but other than that left them to it. I started out with 10 that had not died back as the autumn cold set it so - 20% - can't complain. I think I should have moved them to the mini greenhouse sooner than I did, I think I left them a bit too long without protection from the cold. I'd try again ..

Very tidy.
What tomatoes are you growing?
I’m trying Padron peppers this year.
Padron peppers are eaten small (1" length), the usual thing is to fry them.
If you have ordered spicy and non-stinging seeds, I hope you have kept the spicy plants away from the rest.

If you have ordered spicy and non-stinging seeds, I hope you have kept the spicy plants away from the rest.
I have six plugs...the description says some are hot and some not.....so I suppose the supplier has not. I'll stuff them with cream cheese and play Padron Roulette

Very tidy.
What tomatoes are you growing?
I’m trying Padron peppers this year.
Anything to oblige:
Bumblebee, Aunt Ruby's Green,
Costeluto Genovese, Pentland Romanesco,
Hungarian Heart, Bellhomme Fortuna,
Granny's Throwing, San Marzano,
Golden Sweet.
:sorry: -SWMBO's choices.............!

First pick of broad beans for tea. Small and succulent

Attachments

• IMG_20240517_144040537.jpg
    IMG_20240517_144040537.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240517_144603429.jpg
    IMG_20240517_144603429.jpg
    964.8 KB · Views: 0
Anyone have any experience of polycarbonate polytunnels?

I discovered a thing a couple of weeks back called a "polycrub", which is pretty much this. Developed on Shetland I think, to withstand their weather. It has low wooden sides and then the main part of the arch has twinwall polycarbonate laid over the top and fixed to it using wooden battens. Doors and ventilation in the end walls. I think you can even fit guttering for rainwater collection. I think it provides the growing space of a polytunnel, possibly insulated even better than a greenhouse, much cheaper than a greenhouse.

I bought a cheap 6m x 3m polytunnel from that river place last year with a view to using it for over-winter "bird flu" housing for the chickens because I didn't want to put them in our big polytunnel (we use that for crops over the winter). It's, well, crap, if I'm honest. Not even up to the winds we get here and it's not possible to dig the cover into the earth because the "skirt" is too small. I'm considering the possibility of converting it into a polycrub-type setup however. I reckon I could get some recycled scaffold boards to make walls and then fix the polytunnel itself to the top edges of those so I get a bit more height. Fit twinwall polycarb to the arch, but horizontally rather than looping it over the top because the curve of the arch is much tighter. Then I just have to make new doors and throw the old cover away (or repurpose bits of it as something else in my case, more likely).

I reckon it would then probably work nicely as winter quarters for the chickens too, and they'd be fertilising it for a summer crop. Although it might also be tempting to use it as permanent housing for them, with access to a larger pen in the summer.

James

I discovered a thing a couple of weeks back called a "polycrub", which is pretty much this. Developed on Shetland I think, to withstand their weather. It has low wooden sides and then the main part of the arch has twinwall polycarbonate laid over the top and fixed to it using wooden battens. Doors and ventilation in the end walls. I think you can even fit guttering for rainwater collection. I think it provides the growing space of a polytunnel, possibly insulated even better than a greenhouse, much cheaper than a greenhouse.

I bought a cheap 6m x 3m polytunnel from that river place last year with a view to using it for over-winter "bird flu" housing for the chickens because I didn't want to put them in our big polytunnel (we use that for crops over the winter). It's, well, crap, if I'm honest. Not even up to the winds we get here and it's not possible to dig the cover into the earth because the "skirt" is too small. I'm considering the possibility of converting it into a polycrub-type setup however. I reckon I could get some recycled scaffold boards to make walls and then fix the polytunnel itself to the top edges of those so I get a bit more height. Fit twinwall polycarb to the arch, but horizontally rather than looping it over the top because the curve of the arch is much tighter. Then I just have to make new doors and throw the old cover away (or repurpose bits of it as something else in my case, more likely).

I reckon it would then probably work nicely as winter quarters for the chickens too, and they'd be fertilising it for a summer crop. Although it might also be tempting to use it as permanent housing for them, with access to a larger pen in the summer.

James
Saw this one on Ebay and was just wondering how robust they are and whether you'd want 4mm or 6mm. Thought someone might have one. Not sure about galvanised steel. Think aluminium might be better.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224060612797

Saw this one on Ebay and was just wondering how robust they are and whether you'd want 4mm or 6mm. Thought someone might have one. Not sure about galvanised steel. Think aluminium might be better.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224060612797

Polytunnels generally use galvanised steel I believe. For anything but the smaller ones I think I'd be tempted to go for the thicker covering. It's a bit spendy for my taste though.

James

Back