Big Dead-Out / Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JazzJPH

Just watched a video on a massive dead out from last month. Strange to see so many bees just die like that.

https://youtu.be/fdD0HuEriBI

Is this the type of thing you can see coming? I mean, surely they're not all working one day and then lights out the next..?

So these died because of too many varroa. At what point did they become unstoppable for this beekeeper?

In a nutshell - learn how to keep bees :D neither even knew how to handle a hive tool properly!!

But seriously,just that quick look, with the dead bees all strewn outside, it doesn't look like any varroa influenced collapse, in fact, looks more like poisoning or maybe even CBPV.
Too tired after driving back from the Tradex to look carefully, or to listen to that video again

Jazz theres several things wrong there a qx left in, an empty box stuck on top for no reason and obviously the bees had quite a high mite load if shes picking them up and mites falling off in her hand and wash results. Its also the viruses that mites carry that will affect the bees not just the varroa level. So what could she have done, well the video never really went into detail of what she did do. But close the hive down for winter properly, remove the qx plus the random box and provided the bees with an effective Autumn treatment would have been a good start

Thanks for the answers guys :}

I'll be sure to do a better job than they did when I get my first hive

A couple of things jump out. Too many boxes on the colony for the bees to keep warm. But the main thing I see is lack of stores so my money is on starvation.

A couple of things jump out. Too many boxes on the colony for the bees to keep warm. But the main thing I see is lack of stores so my money is on starvation.

That was my first thought, but there were loads of filled frames in the top brood box

it seems odd...definitely not varroa but as you say, with such high levels, the poor practice could mean its many things

enough stores despite risk that bees can get stranded from stores - dont think its that

enough bees to keep warm id have thought too - cluster keeps warm rather than warming space etc

more likely some other disease

All the gear and no idea!
QX still on
Formic Acid Strips.. left in hive
An a top entrance??
I wonder how many more the little lasses will loose?
OR how long those frame will last using a J tool like that?

Maybe they got blocked in by dead bees with that mouse guard thing 6.26 into the video..

Sure she said bees can come and go through the vent hole she left open in the top... a second entrance... those poor little things gotten froze to death.

:calmdown:

Not CBPV. Wrong time of year. Colony not strong enough. Not enough dead bees outside the hive.
Not foulbrood ... though tricky to tell if you test pollen!
Sealed brood probably very old. Larvae? Really?

Failed queen? High attrition rate due to poor mite management?

Hive tool usage and the stacked boxes suggest a serious lack of proper training.

Hive tool usage and the stacked boxes suggest a serious lack of proper training.

When we decide to keep livestock, we should be aware that the health and welfare of that livestock is our paramount responsibility. Even insects deserve a little respect and consideration.

When we decide to keep livestock, we should be aware that the health and welfare of that livestock is our paramount responsibility. Even insects deserve a little respect and consideration.

You hit the nail on the head. I'm glad to see a lot of responses on this thread from experienced beekeepers because I don't want to end up like in that video. If that was my hive I'd be devastated that I had let it happen.

I take it that the badbeekeepers were in America ( US of) ?
They even pull cats claws out so that pussy does not scratch them!!!

No RSPCA

:calmdown:

Latest posts

Back