BIBBA Regional meeting In February

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Temperance MBC!

When are you going to reinstate your old avatar?
"Stig of the dump" was far preferable to the wiggly wormy thingies!

James

When I feel I don't need to remind fellow forumers what's on the way if we don't do anything to stop it.
Stig was Radagast the brown, a Tolkien wizard, and I don't think I'll use him again, I got bored taking the kids to the second hobbit film.

English Amm's genome to survive after acarine disease

WHOAA, hold on chappie!

That one is a bigger fish of a statement than your "Photoshop" avatar!

Conspiracy theory says that it was not Acarine, but a horrible honeybee virus, imported with some Prussian bees to decimate the UK's bee stocks and force us into restocking with good Arian bees.

OR was that Varroa

James

Conspiracy theory says that it was not Acarine, but a horrible honeybee virus, imported with some Prussian bees to decimate the UK's bee stocks and force us into restocking with good Arian bees.

James

You asked the question about imports, I answered it. So less of the Whoaa's etc please. If you don't like the answer at least respond to the original question and not try to divert it. It does you no credit.

Regardless of conspiracy arguments which are far to late in the day be to proven or disproven.
Was the local Native English Amm population decimated at the time?

A simple yes/no answer will suffice.

What little I understand about our current native bees are that they are total mess genetically, with a bit of everything in them, a real hodgepodge with a bit of the old extant English Amm, Linguista and others within their gene pool.. ...basically a mongrel.

I think you plunge beekeeping back about a century instead of moving forward and enjoying using the products of some of the amazing breeding and improvement programmes that are going on world wide.

I also know of bee farmers who are using local natives, .........when they could get much more from less if they invested in better stock.

there is no such thing as a native black bee in the UK.

Thymallus;456943....and you have meetings to discuss breeding mongrels......good luck.[/QUOTE said:
For your information the last title I held before retiring was Senior Research Fellow.
Not your day for getting your facts right is it.

With your standard of reasoned debate I'll need it.

less of the Whoaa's etc please. If you don't like the answer at least respond to the original question and not try to divert it. It does you no credit.

Regardless of conspiracy arguments which are far to late in the day be to proven or disproven.

A selection of lady of the streams charming first 35 posts, obviously a troll and a bit too unsubtle to be a clever one too, I'm a bit embarrassed to have fallen for it!
A troll with such little self awareness that it trumps the trolling with a reference to what a big man it was in the real world!
Ha, ha, must do better Thymallus, this trout has sniffed out the trotted maggot and won't bite again until it's cast more temptingly.

You are either ignorant of the facts or a flaming troll. .
My past would never have come up if you hadn't suggested that I was ignorant or not of human species......you made the assertion, I just qualified it for you. You do yourself a disservice by your snide remarks.
We could go back to the last question I asked?....or are we going for another round of mud slinging and character defamation?

P.S. Nice job of cutting and pasting.

P.S.. not biting

Nothing to rise to.
Amms are obviously a very divisive topic. But there is no need for you to add anything, your cyber sneering replies to my questions says loads. This, I assume, is the internet equivalent of the "shout them down" approach I've encountered whenever beekeepers congregate and similar questions are raised.....and like here, rarely ever answered in a considered thoughtful way.
Shame really.
T'other forum did at least provide some answers when I asked similar questions.

As big a troll as any of the ones living beneath the bridges over the river Dee !

Like all trolls, can be rude but entertaining!

James

Bit confused here - all this banging on about English AMM's - are they a sub-species? we have mostly Welsh ones around here - and in MBC's (red:D)neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Is this debate (?) about neonics? Or more important?

Sure reads like it..:calmdown:

Round here mongrels rule.

we have mostly Welsh ones around here - and in MBC's (red:D)neck of the woods.

If I may ask, how are you keeping the breeding pure? Are you fortunate to have isolated mating sites, or are all the other bees around you Welsh Amm's?
I can see parts of mountainous Wales as possibly being an ideal setting for isolated mating stations, similar to the Galtree programme in NI. Are there any such programmes running there?

Similar to Madasafish mongrels are the norm around where I live with few local keepers interested in any improvement.

If I may ask, how are you keeping the breeding pure?
Did I say i was - just made a comment on your constantly using the word 'English' which, in your arrogance you seem to be referring to the British AMM in general

Last edited:
Bit confused here - all this banging on about English AMM's - are they a sub-species? we have mostly Welsh ones around here - and in MBC's (red:D)neck of the woods.

My Amms are definitely Devonshire Lasses. Cross the Tamar and you have all the Kernow Gwennen Gwytha , the Rambling Amms of Rame, the Bodmin Bovver Girls and Hellfire Honies of Heligan and not forgetting the Helston Honies and the West Cornwall Wonders!

All the endemic honey bee sub species, and dimes, that lived happily on these isles until all the immigrants were shipped in from far far away from exotic countries!

James

Much can be done with isolation and insemination.

Latest posts

Back