'Best' forage in uk

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjosephd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
So where and when is the 'best' forage in the uk (and why)?

I know 'best' can be interpreted in different ways. The question is deliberately non-specific.

Please interpret the word 'best' however you choose. And to make it interesting for people please explain how you have interpreted 'best' forage and do your best to explain your conclusion/s.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's 5 different corners of the UK at 6 different times of year!

BJD

Last edited:
Osr, beans, bramble, clover, borage, himalayan balsam, heather and ivy, wherever they grow in abundance and the soil type and climate suit them.

Woodland with huge different areas of the same type of tree that is not wind pollinated
E

It's not the forage I am interested in. It's the weather preventing access to it when it's in flower.

For me it has to be gorse in the autumn for pollen stores and feeding the young.

When gorse is in flower kissing is in season...as the old saying goes. Gorse is in flower 365.

This is a one off as folk normally destroy fields of thistles however here is not the case, the land is more or less left to go wild around 30 acres and probably half of that is full of thistles, there's no rape in the area this year and going from the butterfly/bubble bee activity on the thistles i should get something useful this year with my new bees.

Back