Beginner

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terryc123

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
This is the area I was thinking of for a hive! By the private road I am going to build a dead hedge for screening. The pale coloured fence faces south!! There are high pine trees but not in the part for the hive!! Neighbours are 100yards away, they dont walk, they drive!! Just wondering what members thought of positioning!! Oh, it does get plenty of sun….in the summer !!

Attachments

• IMG_1391.jpeg
    IMG_1391.jpeg
    7.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1389.jpeg
    IMG_1389.jpeg
    7.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1386.jpeg
    IMG_1386.jpeg
    7.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1387.jpeg
    IMG_1387.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 1
Looks good ... is it truly a private road ? There are hive thefts going on all the time where hives are easily accessed and visible - if your hive is that close to the road and with no security there is a risk. Other than that .. South facing, sheltered - the bees will love it - what sort of forage is available in the area ?

Looks good ... is it truly a private road ? There are hive thefts going on all the time where hives are easily accessed and visible - if your hive is that close to the road and with no security there is a risk. Other than that .. South facing, sheltered - the bees will love it - what sort of forage is available in the area ?
Hi Pargyle. No one comes down the road except postman and dustcarts!!! Not getting any bees or anything this year. Will be doing dead hedge for more security, planting the area with honey bee plants!! Join an assn, find a mentor in the area and read and read!!! About 200yards there are 4/5 rape seed fields (owned by one of the supermarkets (can’t remember which one) think the biggest help would be a mentor, will have to see. Thanks for your help/advice. Terry

Hi Pargyle. No one comes down the road except postman and dustcarts!!! Not getting any bees or anything this year. Will be doing dead hedge for more security, planting the area with honey bee plants!! Join an assn, find a mentor in the area and read and read!!! About 200yards there are 4/5 rape seed fields (owned by one of the supermarkets (can’t remember which one) think the biggest help would be a mentor, will have to see. Thanks for your help/advice. Terry
Why dead? Blackthorn is good foraging and the thorns deter all but the most foolhardy.🖖

Presumably the op wants a barrier now or soon. But a dead hedge will have plenty life within and can also support climbers.
I’ve used dead hedges in garden plans before its one way of using material that would generally end up on the bonfire or compost heap, they can look good to and last for years with climbers/shrubs growing through them.

The end of our garden where the large trees are is bordered by a dead hedge we've added to over the last 12 years. It is a haven for wildlife and families of hedgehogs and once a clutch of pheasant eggs have been raised there
It's n ow so wide we add fallen leaves to the top and wildflowers have seeded themselves in the soil the leaves have made. If you have room maybe we should all try it

Not getting any bees or anything this year.
You'll be kicking yourself by August.
A mentor would be good, but you can manage without one, especially with all the helpful folk on here.
Join an association if you can (I don't have a local one), and read lots.
If you have an opportunity to get a couple of hives in the spring I'd go for it - you learn much more about beekeeping by doing it!
Get some spare kit right at the start for when they decide to swarm - you don't want to be trying to find boxes in a rush.

it does get plenty of sun
I hope so, because it does look gloomy in winter, and likely to be damp, esp. with an extra hedge. Damp is not good for bees, unless breeze gets in there.

My worry is the drive, which although private, will be used by the postie, utility companies, fire brigade, lost walkers and ne'er-do-wells, all of whom will see the hives, maybe have a poke and certainly talk later. Does the private road have open access to the public road?

I hope so, because it does look gloomy in winter, and likely to be damp, esp. with an extra hedge. Damp is not good for bees, unless breeze gets in there.
Ours are by our pond shaded from the scorching ( ha ha) summer sun by silver birch. With the near continuous deluge we have suffered since July they seem fine.
One of the black hives has chalkbrood though, but not badly.

Hi. Wecome from another beekeeper in Norfolk. Looks a nice spot if secure. Planting bee friendly plants are great for the environment but your own bees will likely ignore them if my own experience is anything to go by :) They tend to be efficient with their energy and go for the most productive sources of nectar. Something to think about when looking at eye watering garden centre plant prices

Ours are by our pond shaded from the scorching ( ha ha) summer sun by silver birch. With the near continuous deluge we have suffered since July they seem fine.
One of the black hives has chalkbrood though, but not badly.
until last weekend the bees at the home apiary had spent most of the winter in the middle of a six inch deep lake. bees are hale and hearty there.
Redwood's main apiary is in a marsh basically and they've been there for years

My worry is the drive, which although private, will be used by the postie, utility companies, fire brigade, lost walkers and ne'er-do-wells, all of whom will see the hives, maybe have a poke and certainly talk later. Does the private road have open access to the public road?
Thanks for worrying about me!! but it is so quiet, no one comes down except the ones I mentioned. Got 'private keep out', no cold sellers etc. Must admit we do get our fair share of rain in Norfolk, lost 3 big oak trees couple of years ago, now there is a good draugh through the garden. Thanks tho!!

Hi. Wecome from another beekeeper in Norfolk. Looks a nice spot if secure. Planting bee friendly plants are great for the environment but your own bees will likely ignore them if my own experience is anything to go by :) They tend to be efficient with their energy and go for the most productive sources of nectar. Something to think about when looking at eye watering garden centre plant prices
Hi Ely
Yeah, been looking already!! 300yds away there are open fields! mainly rape seed, but others a little further are different......colours!! Dont know what they grow.....yet!!
Thanks for the Welcome
Terry

Planting bee friendly plants are great for the environment but your own bees will likely ignore them if my own experience is anything to go by
Depends. If you plant crocus, snowdrops, hellebores, winter honeysuckle and willow they won’t.

You'll be kicking yourself by August.
A mentor would be good, but you can manage without one, especially with all the helpful folk on here.
Join an association if you can (I don't have a local one), and read lots.
If you have an opportunity to get a couple of hives in the spring I'd go for it - you learn much more about beekeeping by doing it!
Get some spare kit right at the start for when they decide to swarm - you don't want to be trying to find boxes in a rush.
Hi Sutty
The Norfolk assn, have just found out, their 'training' apiary is a 2hr.10mins drive for a 2hr lesson, then 2h.10mins drive home!! so wont be doing that one!! I know what you mean about getting out there and having a go............scared!! Still retained the lessons I had a few years ago, plus the reading. At the moment I am clearing the area up a bit, do a bit of planting, dead hedging so will be too busy this year but will be getting my orders in for next year. Thanks Sutty, appreciate your advice. Terry

Back