Bees & Hot tubs - serious question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Last year talking to a neighbour he mentioned that his neighbour (about 100 yards from my garden) was finding a lot of dead bees in his hot tub and wondered where they were from. No issues and as winter arrived the issue stopped.
Bees have been active again this past few weeks and neighbour has just knocked on my door as he is again finding dead bees in his hot tub.
He was not off about it and his concern was that they were dying. He said if using the hot tub a few bees buzz around and clear off but once the cover is on they find a way in under the edge and drown in the water. (About 20-30 per day)
Questions
Has anyone experienced this before?
What would attract them to the hot tub? There are numerous water sources close by.
Is there any way to stop them? Any plants or scents / essential oils etc that would put them off?
Thanks in advance

I think the bees like the chemicals or salt in the water we had an issue over 30 years ago with a school complaining about bees in the swimming pool. The problem was solved by dismantling the few wbc hives in the field in front of the headmaster they happened to be empty after repainting. 20 with bees in were tucked 50 meters away behind a big hedge. Not sure that solves your issue but a proper fitting cover may help and offering to suck the venom from his good ladies backside when she eventually sits on 1 could have unforeseen consequences. Some could indeed be better than others.

They prefer warm water. All I can suggest is to put warm water between you and the hot tub. You can do that with wet compost in a shallow container n the sunshine or moss in a back container.
E

they like the warm water, and maybe someone peed in the hot tub?
It's a known phenomenon. ChrisB on here had to move an apiary a few years ago when the farmer's wife complained about bees in the pool.

I went to that school the f.....ing pool was never heated.

I went to that school the f.....ing pool was never heated.
My school pool wasn't heated either, and yes free-eezing! Even in July. I suspect that forcing kids to jump into very cold water would not be allowed now.

Floaters in the water to allow the bees to get onto something rather than drown?

Ask for a bucket of that water and put it near the tub... you could always add a floater or 2 if you like :)

Latest posts

Back