Bees getting fractious in a poly nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeorn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello, I had a colony in a poly nuc and have just moved them into a single brood with super. They had been seeming more and more lively and I was wondering if that could have had anything to do with being in the poly nuc and if they would be likely calm down now that they are in the proper hive? They also have a new queen so could that be another reason they are lively? They seemed pretty gentle when I first got them as a nuc.

My other colony are still as gentle as lambs and have never stung me, and it would be nice if the lively colony would settle down again. Thanks everybody

New hive? or new queen?

I'd vote for too much space at once : new hive plus super vs nuc.
and possibly new queen as well (provenance?)

But at this distance and with at least two unknown variables, have no clue.

I opened up a couple of poly nucs on Saturday, gentle as lambs.
Took out a couple of frames, no gloves or veil.
Don't recommend going in without protection, but a quick peek!

Same hive on Sunday was a boiling mass of anger...stung through the bee suit a few times, and several times on the ankle....followed me for 10 minutes....

Why have you added a super?
Are the super frames foundation
Are the extra brood frames drawn
Too much space I think?

As said many times I super on 8 frames of brood. by giving a super you are adding a further 50%to a colony you have already by giving a BB 50%.
As for the temper nothing to do with being in a poly hive its to do with getting stronger and their true temperament coming out.

No gloves is one thing but no veil is bloody stupidity on speed. You get two eyes and the bees will sting them. Then its wailey wailey time.

PH

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for not being clear; I meant that I was wondering if their temperament would improve now that they are not in the poly nuc anymore. They've only been moved out of the poly nuc a few days ago so I haven't seen for myself yet how they may or may not have changed behaviour. I don't dare even approach the general area of their hive without lit smoker and fully suited up in multiple layers :)

The poly nuc that they were in had an extension so the frames in the single brood are all the frames that were in the poly nuc, fully drawn with brood and stores etc. The super has wax foundation in it.

Ok I see it's probably unlikely that the poly was making them fractious. I'm just hoping that they will somehow calm down :) The new queen's laying pattern is great and they are very healthy bees but just ever so lively, especially compared to my other bees.

In my very limited experience of horrid bees( they don’t last long) Once I have discounted the usual stuff like weather lack of food beekeepers’ perfume or lack of I give them a couple of inspection intervals and if they are still horrid the Queen gets the pinch. Some bees are just nasty

Attachments

• ED12858F-8A96-4AD6-8478-26702832DA32.jpeg
    ED12858F-8A96-4AD6-8478-26702832DA32.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for not being clear; I meant that I was wondering if their temperament would improve now that they are not in the poly nuc anymore. They've only been moved out of the poly nuc a few days ago so I haven't seen for myself yet how they may or may not have changed behaviour. I don't dare even approach the general area of their hive without lit smoker and fully suited up in multiple layers :)

The poly nuc that they were in had an extension so the frames in the single brood are all the frames that were in the poly nuc, fully drawn with brood and stores etc. The super has wax foundation in it.

Ok I see it's probably unlikely that the poly was making them fractious. I'm just hoping that they will somehow calm down :) The new queen's laying pattern is great and they are very healthy bees but just ever so lively, especially compared to my other bees.

Judging by the info it sounds like her offspring are becoming more numerous than those of the old queen and you are seeing their new behaviour. I hope this is not the case.

Latest posts

Back