bees blocking entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A friend of mine has a national with mesh floor and for the past couple of days there has been a build up blocking the entrance virtualy motionless any ideas.

Has he looked inside?
Overcrowding to the point of swarming sounds likely.

If you are talking about warm days with rain, that's what they will do. Hot but don't want to get wet! Warm nights the same... Hot but don't like the dark!
E

Hi sparky,
Making it very tricky for robbers to get into honey stores! I have been watching my bees and every bee gets frisked. A bit like having bouncers outside a night club!

At this time of the year large colonies in the evening will have clusters of bees usually foragers at the entrance or on the front of the brood box, in the morning they dissipate. They will totally disappear when the nights get colder and the foragers start to die off over the next few weeks.
My colonies were doing this over the last few weeks even with the entrance blocks pulled out. Yesterday I replaced all entrance blocks as a precaution as the wasp population has gone up rapidly over the last week.

Back