beekeepers killing bees with kindness

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallshoney

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
+150
This was the headline on radio2 this morning about 7.45 but heard no more anyone catch it?

Apparently a Norfolk bee-keeper decided to thank his bees by taking them out for a drink, unfortunately they fell into the pint of beer and drowned.

:party::biggrinjester:

I think it's to do with an article on todays Telegraph page 7 - basically pumping bees full of antibiotics is making them more vulnerable to pesticides.
Researchers at the university of Maryland have discovered risks in feeding bees oxytetracyclene and then treating the hive with two pesticides used to treat varroa led to CCD!?
Quote Prof Hawthorne we think that a widely used medication may make bees more susceptible to toxicity of commonly used pesticides, and that this interaction may be at least partially responsible for the continuing honey bee population loss'

Not dubious beekeeping practices then, good

oops sorry HM - just saw the second link on your post

And then they wonder why anti=biotics are gettng everywhere and then becoming useless as resistance builds up and super-bugs such as MRSA are making a visit to hospital a death sentence.

A friend of mine went into their local hospital for a minor operation and ended up dead from MRSA infection. My mother almost went the same way after suffering a heart attack but survived.

Apparently a Norfolk bee-keeper decided to thank his bees by taking them out for a drink, unfortunately they fell into the pint of beer and drowned.

:party::biggrinjester:

And your point is?

Latest posts

Back