BeeBase Hive census

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
3 TBH + 3 Nat (+ Nucs)
Have thousands of dutiful beekeepers crashed the BeeBase site by trying to enter hive census info today? - They have an 'internal server problem' so it says.

More than likely maintenance over the 'holiday' period.

It's the relatives of dead beekeepers all trying to remove all trace of their (long dead) relatives' hives..

Once mentioned never forgotten even if the hives have long since rotted away.. another shambles.

I for one am going to mention it when I reply to a letter I have had from my MP on another matter.

It's now very simple to contact your MP via email. If we all mention it then the pressure will arrive at the door of Beebase. After all people we pay for it through taxation, therefore, we are perfectly entitled to point out to the pollys that it is not fit for purpose.

PH

The thing is just too clunky to work properly - 'shared' apiaries can only be managed by the SBI so we are unable to get in there and update it - SBI's haven't really got the time to log in with you and chop and change thinks as needed, no thought given to those finishing and abandoning an apiary. To be honest, would you, even if you were able, after packing up beekeeping take the time to log in, reduce your colonies to zero and then delete the apiary from the database?
Same with any government database really - always go for the more steam driven problem wrought system that probably costs more than a decent bit of kit rather than take the time to research a decent one.

I thought it was a deliberate ploy to give a "false" indication of the number of hives in the UK. The grant we get from the EU for beekeeping is based on hive numbers and is guesstimated, at least partly, from this data base.

They've CLOSED* all my apiaries ... despite me telling them three times which are active and which are inactive.

There's notes on each apiary Beebase page indicating who at NBU marked it as closed. I've emailed them twice about it and spoken to them on the phone in October (they called me).

In general I support better registration and regulation for beekeeping, but this gives me no confidence whatsoever.

Closed apiaries count a big fat zero for hives ... so this is losing them 15-20 hives-worth of pre-Brexit EU largesse.

* marked them as closed that is ... I can still apparently get into them, as I did yesterday ;)

Latest posts

Back