Bee vac

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought, but could you use a garden petrol leaf vacuum?

I cant see why not to be honest also had more extra oil and double up as a smoker hehe

Ive not got one that i can test but sure it would work great idea thank you theres been alot of interest in the vac i made ive got quite a few all made up ready to be shipped out so if anyone would like one please pm me thank you so much i could alter it to to fit the 14x12 frames if anyone requires so ill also offer full refund if your not happy but honestly no you will be happy

Last week I used an Aldi AshVac (for the first time) to remove some bees from a ski-lift support pole …

The cylindrical steel post had a welded-on plate at the top (about 15 feet up), with two small (¾ inch diameter?) holes. The swarm moved in midday Friday, I got the call Monday lunchtime.

I bolted a wooden plate over the steel top-plate with its single hole taking a hosepipe into a polynuc lashed to the crossbar of the lift pylon.
Some bees stayed in the polynuc with the drawn frames (with a little capped honey). Wise move!
But after a couple of days, removing the hosepipe saw Nasonov action at the top of the pole, not the nuc entrance.

So it was a matter of resorting to the vac.
A short piece of hosepipe was attached to the end of the vac inlet hose, and that hosepipe poked into the holes in the steel plate.

A borrowed endoscope (Aldi again, I think) showed that the bees had drawn comb inside the post.

The bees were removed OK, but there were quite a lot of casualties.
My take-aways from this first AshVac experience were that
- great care needs to be taken to avoid sucking nectar out of the combs (the dead bees were a sticky mass)
- a smooth (internally) vacuum pipe would be a good upgrade - has anyone got a source, please?
- and when using a reduced cross-section pipe (hosepipe) to get into a small hole, you need to reduce the strength of the vacuum cleaner to compensate...

I reckon that, overall, the live bees removed from site outnumbered the dead by 3:1 at least, but it was sad to see about a pint of dead bees. Still, ¾ of them were safely removed from an awkward and non-viable location. Bit short of perfection though …

just received Steve's bee vac with parcel force.
Its fantastic.
Fittings all A1 quality
Shame I will probably have to wait until next year for swarms, but may try it out as a super vac when I take my last few supers off in next few days.
thanks Steve!

just received Steve's bee vac with parcel force.
Its fantastic.
Fittings all A1 quality
Shame I will probably have to wait until next year for swarms, but may try it out as a super vac when I take my last few supers off in next few days.
thanks Steve!

Fantastic your a true gent thank you so much

Last edited:
Steve, would you care to share your source for the smooth-internal vacuum hose? Please? :)

bee vac in use

As a matter of interest, how much of the chimney did you have to dismantle to get at the bees? With the scaffolding, it looks like quite an operation - what sort of money was charged to the client to remove the colony? How much of the comb debris fell down the chimney during the operation and were you able to retrieve this from fireplaces, etc. How many bee-stings?

It looks like an interesting operation - more information needed!

Regards

CVB

As a matter of interest, how much of the chimney did you have to dismantle to get at the bees? With the scaffolding, it looks like quite an operation - what sort of money was charged to the client to remove the colony? How much of the comb debris fell down the chimney during the operation and were you able to retrieve this from fireplaces, etc. How many bee-stings?

It looks like an interesting operation - more information needed!

Regards

CVB

Things can be done on a tight budget and hope nothing happens or do it safely and live to see another day this wasnt my work by the way i just used the photos

2 stings recieved, both by accident, (my own fault).

the stack was coming down anyway so to make my life easier i removed 4 rows of bricks to reach the new comb below the old dark comb. Just a small ammount fell down, with a bucket full of liquid gold for my efforts. i had planned to save the colony however it didnt go to plan, 50% died in the vac, the others were introduced to a small cast collected earlier this year.

through concerns of the vac supplier, i would be suggesting the bees that died were young, and possably with no stores to feed from, they were housed just over 24 hrs.

suggestions ..............?

through concerns of the vac supplier, i would be suggesting the bees that died were young, and possably with no stores to feed from, they were housed just over 24 hrs.

suggestions ..............?

Maybe the suction was to high what i would suggest is adding some foam say 10mm along the back wall that will be something ill be looking at now your always goin to get casualties with any extraction but the fewer the better thanks for the input im always looking on ways to improve

the "throttle" was managed at low suction.... my aim was to save the bees not nail them to the back wall, but yes an intersting point with an easy fix.

Maybe the suction was to high what i would suggest is adding some foam say 10mm along the back wall that will be something ill be looking at now your always goin to get casualties with any extraction but the fewer the better thanks for the input im always looking on ways to improve
Well done, building something that does the job. I was thinking of bee vac building a while back. A couple of things I was considering.

Looking around for a smooth hose, the best I saw was from a pond supplies place, If the diameter was right it should fit into a standard 2 or 3m waste pipe of 32 or 40 mm from any diy shed, maybe a bit of tape to seal. That would then allow safe collection of many swarms about 4 metres or more high without step ladders or climbing.

The trick for a soft landing is to go from small cross section higher speed air (the pipe) to wider cross section lower speed air (the box). The "valve" in the side to reduce the air flow in the pipe should be in the box below the mesh. If it's in the box side, you still have full suction drawing bees into the floor with air from the pipe plus the side valve. If you reduce the air flow through the bottom mesh, the bees have a chance to recover the trauma of the pipe without being pinned to the floor.

If you wanted to pull the bees into the box with frames already in place, the bees emerge from the pipe at whatever velocity and then get a hard frame end to slow them down. I'd probably want the hose input in the lid. Entry via a cavity where the air flow slows and the opposite wall to the hose could have a foam or net baffle for a softer landing. From there bees should be able to crawl onto the frames.

An external cleaner sucking is versatile as long as there's a 240V outlet near. I was wondering if any of the rechargeable or 12v car vacs could produce enough air flow. Simpler to attach an existing package and easier to replace than sourcing separate components. Plus if you wanted to make more, no worries about certification because the electrical components are all packaged and certified as a cleaner.

The air flow would need to be enough to stop the bees flying out of the tube, the books say a bee flies around 14 or 15 mph so 20 mph or 9 metres per second is probably the minimum down the pipe. A flow of 9 m/s in a 30mm internal diameter tube I make about 6 litres per second. Not sure how that translates to "air watts" quoted for these machines which seems to be anything from 2.5 to 28.

Just an armchair design exercise at present.

looking at the design, can I make a suggestion...

If the opening for adjusting the suction was in the lower box, rather than the bee box, then the reduction in suction would happen BEFORE the bee chamber.

There would be the same suction and adjustment available for the intake tube, but the bees would have less suction onto the floor of the bee chamber.
With the current design, if you reduce the intake suction by opening the bypass, it won't change the amount of suction through the bee chamber floor.

PS. A handle on top wouldn't go amis, both for lifting, and for securing with a bit of rope in awkward places.

Last edited:
Interestng comments guys... thanks...

Steve, this needs to be reviewed.:judge:

Latest posts

Back