Bee removal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

My neighbour's house has had a colony of bees living in it for the last couple of years, peacefully co-existing with them. However they're about to get their window frames redone and the entrance to the hive is right by one of them. They're going to have to inform the managing agent (it's a rental property) and the suspicion is that they'll end up getting someone in to kill them, so to head that off I'd like to find out if it'll be possible to remove them (although I might suggest we simply seal the entrance whilst the frames are being done, but I'm not sure they'll go for that).

So the problems:
  • 17th Century Grade 2 listed building;
  • The entrance to the hive is in the eves, but there's no access to that part of the attic.

So no direct cut out is possible. Would I be right in thinking that the only way to shift them is going to be using a cone trap combined with a bait hive? And if so does the bait hive need to be at the same height/same place as the cone?

Picture of the entrance

Thanks

Blocking the hole up while they do that window should be ok. Do it the night before.

the suspicion is that they'll end up getting someone in to kill them,

if the agents try that, doubtful they will get any joy, I've worked for 4 different pest control firms, as bees are not classed as pests, plus the possibility of going to court for infecting robber bees, good pest control companies won't touch them

That'll be my suggestion, however it's possible that the managing agents won't go for that so I would like to have an idea if removing them is possible.

If you google 'Honeybee Trap out' there are lots of very creative ways of getting them out ... mainly in the USA where timber framed houses predominate and they always seem to get bees in the cavity ... some of them are a bit 'redneck' so you will probably have to trawl through a few !

I think blocking them in (if possible) the night before might be the better option.
If the bees are killed off then there is no-one at home to keep the comb , honey etc in order. An invitation for mice, or dripping honey and nectar in hot weather.

if the agents try that, doubtful they will get any joy, I've worked for 4 different pest control firms, as bees are not classed as pests, plus the possibility of going to court for infecting robber bees, good pest control companies won't touch them

That's very handy to know. It's whether they'd try and get a pest control firm to do it, or if they'll simply have the estate handymen do it!

I think blocking them in (if possible) the night before might be the better option.
If the bees are killed off then there is no-one at home to keep the comb , honey etc in order. An invitation for mice, or dripping honey and nectar in hot weather.

and an invitation to the next swarm, to come back, and find a nice home.

Interesting if its the same colony been there for a couple of years without any varroa treatment, or could it be different colonys moving in?

Interesting if its the same colony been there for a couple of years without any varroa treatment, or could it be different colonys moving in?

I wasn't aware of the colony until they moved in (the previous tenants didn't mention anything about bees) so I've no idea how long they've been there, and as others have said an abandoned hive is likely to attract other swarms (and there was a large swarm in the area last season). It's a shame I can't get into the attic. Might have a go with an endoscope next weekend (though it's a USB one so I'll be balanced up a ladder with it in one hand and my laptop in the other.

That's very handy to know. It's whether they'd try and get a pest control firm to do it, or if they'll simply have the estate handymen do it!

If he does not have a licence to use pesticides, he can be taken to court and fined...

Latest posts

Back