bee markings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ-Bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
can anyone help explain the white marks on some of my bees heads.
i have nicknamed them the mohicans.
only abot 20% of the bees in my 2 hives have the marks.
i am assuming its just some sort of natural variation

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    494.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 53
Mine come in with white on their backs, I call them the 'ghost' bees... we are surrounded by HB.

Sometimes can be sawn bees carry full load of pollen on their back, easy to spot when is yellow toadflax in flower. I observed when they pack the pollen on their backs - as pollen backpack.

Interestingly, they all seem to prefer moist areas with flowing water.

Here it grows everywhere, even surviving among bracken on the hills! Now I know Wales is wet, but even here the water doesn't flow all the time...;)

My bees are coming in looking like this years queens. A solid round yellow dot centre thorax. Maybe pumpkin??

My bees are coming in looking like this years queens. A solid round yellow dot centre thorax. Maybe pumpkin??

I've got the same and was wondering the source - now that you say pumpkin then I'm thinking it could be my courgettes, basically the same flower I think!

Linaria vulgaris - yellow toadflax at my place.

Attachments

• Linaria vulgaris.JPG
    Linaria vulgaris.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Lv2.JPG
    Lv2.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back