Bee inspector came today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Duff

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
none
Our regional bee inspector came today (Ian) and brought glorious sunshine with him. If you have not had a visit from your bee inspector I reccomend you do, he was really helpful and I got some great advice on a couple or three improvements that I could make. Hive 1 was cofirmed as Q-, our former Carniolans although not fully converted to the dark side are a tad too grumpy for an allotment, although they have retained their "slight" ;) tendancy to swarm.
The dodgey brood pattern is down to the weather, no signs of disease.
Nuc 2 (6 frames) is struggling and eating all the feed as fast as I put it in.

This evening after a massive cloud burst number 1 assistant and I waded through the water and united nuc 2 with Q- hive.

Watching him I realised I had been making a very basic error when inspecting the hives, I was forgetting to put a few puffs of smoke into the hive entrance before opening them up (that's a 30 year hiatus in bee-keeping for you)

Get your bee inspector to pay you a visit, you and your bees will benefit and best of all it's free

I had a notification that ours (Doug) is visiting next Tuesday, Weather permitting.
Unfortunately I'm at work.
I met him last year at our association when he gave a talk and he is a very nice bloke.
I have just e-mailed the details I think he needs, access instructions & a brief history of each hive and asked him to help himself.
If there are any issues, he will ring me.
I'm just miffed that I can't be there to observe when he has a look.

I had a notification that ours (Doug) is visiting next Tuesday, Weather permitting.
Unfortunately I'm at work.
I met him last year at our association when he gave a talk and he is a very nice bloke.
I have just e-mailed the details I think he needs, access instructions & a brief history of each hive and asked him to help himself.
If there are any issues, he will ring me.
I'm just miffed that I can't be there to observe when he has a look.

To quote Homer (the yellow one, not the Greek one) DOH!

Watching him I realised I had been making a very basic error when inspecting the hives, I was forgetting to put a few puffs of smoke into the hive entrance before opening them up (that's a 30 year hiatus in bee-keeping for you)

Get your bee inspector to pay you a visit, you and your bees will benefit and best of all it's free

We find a tiny puff is enough and tiny puffs when/if they crowd the handgrips at frame edges.

Shirely yours haven't been attacking you for not puffing?

How old was he. Did you find the bees had attitude at having a stranger there - we thought so, but maybe a fancy.

Glad you were free of problems. :cool:

Shirley is an *****, most of the good people on here will confirm that.
I don't know how true it is, but I have been told that Shirley's mum keeps wasp in a wasp hive.

And in case you're not sure of the difference
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bfe6CgYbH8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bfe6CgYbH8[/ame]

Latest posts

Back