Bee ID

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moggs

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
These are holed up in a school. I was a little taken aback to find the huge monster buzzing loudly in the window sill. It's a full 1 inch in length and half an inch wide Scary! Then there are smaller bees mainly crawling dozily around the carpet (pictured alighted on finger). Then, yet more bees investigating my bait hive in the school grounds. Any ideas? The school seems to be inundated with insects!

As someone pointed out to me a few weeks ago...the bee in pic 2 and possibly pic 3 are almost certainly mining bees. They appear to have straight antenna rather than our girls bend ones,

All the best,
Sam

What is it with mining bees and crawling around carpets? Every time I see one - and i've had loads inside this year - it's been trundling along my living room carpet, like it's just going for a stroll, minding it's own business. They seem to just wander from behind the TV lol, one made it as far as the stair carpet last week. That's a long way with little legs.

I wonder - do you have a hole in the wall for the TV cable to come through? It might be that you have mason bees trying to set up home in the hole and then coming too far?!

The big monster with the reddish tail that Moggs was concerned about might be a red-tailed bumble bee. Queens are still looking for homes.

The one on the finger is a honeybee.

I wondered that Gavin, but the TV aerial comes through the window and it's a very tight fit around the cable. I am thinking they fly in while the door is open with the kids, then settle for the night, maybe the TV area is warmest, and they are just waking up with a yawn lol. Anyway, they are all carefully carried outside. If this had happened last year I would be on valium by now lol

Latest posts

Back