Bee cleansing flight. It's raining down

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
My skylights are splattered in bee poo. The windows on my house have been hit. My cars are covered and the neighbours are all looking to the sky and wondering what on earth it could be on their cars and windows...

.... well, I'm not telling them as I'm sure they will work it out.

This is a new phenomenon which happened suddenly three days ago. I have 4 hives which are all strong colonies. My house is 50 meters from the apiary. It looks like they get up to roof top altitude and then let it go. Will it pass? What are the likely causes for this unwelcome development.. thanks

Hmm mm.....

So is this weather related? There was a wet day followed by a sunny day. Could just be bad luck that they were foraging in the direction beyond my house rather than in any of the other directions

Chances are that it's been happening all the time but you haven't noticed as it's not been hitting your windows etc. It's probably 'started' now as the bees are foraging in a different direction so the flight path is now more obvious. Well......that's my theory! :)

They do seem to be exeptionally sh!tty at the moment - I'm guessing must just be a combination of the late good weather and a good ivy flow on. Neighbour asked me yesterday what the spots on his car was - first time he's been dumped on and the car's been parked in the same spot for years, first time SWMBO's car has been splattered and I noticed this afternoon whilst taking the dogs for a walk that every car along the road has been decorated.

They do seem to be exeptionally sh!tty at the moment - I'm guessing must just be a combination of the late good weather and a good ivy flow on. Neighbour asked me yesterday what the spots on his car was - first time he's been dumped on and the car's been parked in the same spot for years, first time SWMBO's car has been splattered and I noticed this afternoon whilst taking the dogs for a walk that every car along the road has been decorated.

Not just mine then. If only it would rain.

Did you fess up to the neighbour that it was from bees?

Doesn't help if your house and car are under a flight path
E

Did you fess up to the neighbour that it was from bees?

Yes, there was no problem - they thought it might have been bee related anyway.

Doesn't help if your house and car are under a flight path
E

they've always been under the flight path - it just seems to be everywhere and in larger quantity than usual - it's even in places where there is definitely not a flight path.

I have been way for a 9 days down sunny Devon and Cornwall and on my return I noticed the cars in the streets by me are really splattered! No one has asked yet if its bee poo!

I have been way for a 9 days down sunny Devon and Cornwall and on my return I noticed the cars in the streets by me are really splattered! No one has asked yet if its bee poo!

Tell them it's wasps and that it's a sign the wasps are all dying at the end of the year.
No one likes wasps anyway.

the bees are just dumping it everywhere, not just on flight paths.
SWMBO said the same thing is happening at her office in Merthyr Tudful (bees in the grounds) - first time that every can in the carpark has been well splattered.

:ohthedrama:
My skylights are splattered in bee poo. The windows on my house have been hit. My cars are covered

This is a new phenomenon which happened suddenly three days ago. What are the likely causes for this unwelcome development.. thanks

Same here over about a week or two!

Must admit I've been peering through the hedges looking for a "hidden swarm" ever considered checking closer on the thatch?

Have had two colonies on the kitchen roof for @ 4 years now but never noticed this much before, it's not even on their noticeable flight-path?

Could it be BREXIT related, like the 10% on Marmite???

:ohthedrama:

Same here over about a week or two!

Must admit I've been peering through the hedges looking for a "hidden swarm" ever considered checking closer on the thatch?

Have had two colonies on the kitchen roof for @ 4 years now but never noticed this much before, it's not even on their noticeable flight-path?

Could it be BREXIT related, like the 10% on Marmite???

According to much of the media anything inconvenient is blamed on it. :(

Either the bees are feeding on something that has a lot of indigestible matter or they have an abdominal infection. Do any of you treat with Fumadil? If so, are the treated bees doing the splattering too?

Either the bees are feeding on something that has a lot of indigestible matter or they have an abdominal infection. Do any of you treat with Fumadil? If so, are the treated bees doing the splattering too?

If it's an infection it's a murrain bigger than IOW disease and varroa combined as it's all over the country.
Fumidil is a nono in the UK now.

Back