bee behaviour in new hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goonerwin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
got my first nuc of bees yestaday and transfered them into my hive with no problems. today they just seem to be flying around the hive. is this normal behaviour, are they just ajusting to their new surroundings.

If they are flying around outside the hive it is likely that they are foragers just getting their bearings and making the mental map of home.

All the best,
Sam

This is what seemed to happen to my first bees at the end of last July. They seemed to fly in sort of skewed rectangular shapes above the hive but it was not that long (ie a day or so) before they became more purposeful and go further afield and bring in pollen. It was almost as if there were an invisible corridor from the hive to the South west.
My recently acquired swarm are a little different - I did not notice the skewed rectangles but they still seem purposeful and busy on the outside of teh hive in the warmth. When you can see some have full pollen baskets that is good but it depends slightly on what pollen is around - the brighter it is the more clearly it can be seen.
Welcome to a fascinating hobby!
tricia
PS you can change your profile from 'hives - none' now.

Last edited:
Oh no, not a Gooner on the forum! Welcome from a Spurs fan!:seeya:

Your bees are just adjusting themselves to their new surroundings, my nuc did that last May.

FB

That's what we're here for, I've needed my fair share of reassurance over the last year!

Latest posts

Back