Bee Aggression after beek takes Amoxycillin dose

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hombre

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
Arrived to bee keep at 1pm, having taken an Amoxycillin capsule at 12pm. It was raining when we set out, so I had a waterproof jacket over my bee suit. By the time we got to the bees, the rain was over but I kept the jacket on. It was doubtless moist on the inside as it was a little warm.

The first colony opened were a bit frisky I felt. Lots of stings in the Marigolds and very soon inside the jacket through the beesuit stinging the fronts of my shoulders. This happened at the second colony too. My companion was getting no such attention. Bees still with me and aggressive at 100 yards. I put it down to the suit having become very wet the previous week and sweat on the day.

Last night I washed the suit in the normal way and took an Amoxycillin capsule before I left home this morning. A mini nuc was keen to sting my gloves I noticed, Then at the first apiary that we visited the colony was all over me, burrowing down to sting. I wasn't too amused. Similar at the next colony, but the last one was docile and didn't bother.

It occurred to me that three or four hours after taking the capsule, that the aggression from the bees appeared to subside.

I have had more than a few hammerings from angry bees in my time, but this time I was singled out and the only thing that I can think of was the Amoxycillin, which doubtless manifested itself though my pores. I also don't remember having had such concerted attacks against my hands before either.

Does anyone else have any experience of aggression, from the bees, whilst having recently taken a dose of Amoxycillin? As the day wore on and the process of hydration and dewatering took place, the attention from the bees subsided to the normal relative indiference.

Some of the attention may have been due to idle workers in view of the weather, but that's somewhat beside the point.

Doc gave me amoxycillin earlier on in the year, and I took the course as directed. Had no noticeable negative reaction from the bees.

How can you explain a reaction to your hands when clad in impervious gloves?

I don't see it as connected sorry to say.

PH

If it has been raining i would not be surprised to encounter angry colonies....

You mention that you were wearing a coat - was it a waxed coat by any chance? Colour?

Funnily enough, the ONLY times i have every experienced aggression frm any of my bees is just before or just after rain.

From my very limited experience, i would go for the rain element.....

I was wearing a damp rain jacket, just walking around the apairy the other evening and i had a few bees buzzing the jacket and hovering beside me. I thought it a bit unusal at the time.

Both nylon waterproof, navyblue, on day one and rain are possible, but as I explained, the behaviour was abnormal.

Sweaty gloves, I take them off between apiaries and despite being washed the sweat probably contaminates them. Lots of it. I dry the insides of the gloves on the legs of my suit.

Back