Bbc 4

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was the purchased queen marked (from Ep2) "green" for TV, as the program was recorded last year in 2013 (I thought!) and should have been marked red as supplied from f****** p*****, although the Web Page she click on was C****** H***** Bees! (her old nasty queen was marked yellow, and refereed to as last years queen 2012)

so a little confused, and it does not take much...

(not that I'm any Expert, other than my two overwintered nucs, which arrived, both have Red 2013 Marked Queens from last year!)

There once was a time I used white every year until my mentors white tip ex ran out (this was v early 90s, when we barely knew what a varroa mite was let alone poisonous substances injurious to bees were) and even now I am missing a colour uniPosca pen, so one year out of 5 I get a double colour run.....

So I'll let her off....

Regards

S

Well ... thanks for that Heidi .... I participate if I think I have something to contribute but clearly I would never dream of offering advice to someone as experienced as you ... perhaps though - best hit the pargyle ignore button and then there's less risk of being offended or hitting your sarcasm button ? Pity really ... thought you were a bit above this.

Hey, Philip, sorry, I was serious! I detect a distinct pedagogical streak in your posts, and meant what I said! You take your bees seriously, take your learning seriously and enjoy passing it on, do you not?
And there is no call to defer to my experience, the longer I have bees the less I know, that's all I know.

Mellifera: "I think its a shame that they haven't mentioned where to become a beekeeper. They have yet to mention local beekeeping groups, traditional or 'natural'.

But still as many have already said it is good to see bees on TV."

Maybe they still will? It's probably not exactly easy to recommend "where to become a beekeeper"; but what does come across already is that beekeepers are a mutually helpful and supportive bunch, people notice that, and that's nice, isn't it?; these people on the programme, John and the neighbour, are helping her because they share a fascination, not because she's a well-known presenter. My experience in the first years, and to an extent even now, is exactly the same ..... lots and lots of helpful people who are very generous with their time; that's how one can become a beekeeper. What a lovely world to be involved in and share with others.

Victor, am I sunny enough for you today? Such a shame that you did not come and "out" yourself at the BBKA Convention .... I was in such a sunny mood :) and utterly impressed by lots of things, not least the hard-working volunteers. At the BBKA Annual dinner I met some utterly charming Ludlow beeks who are pursuing a native black bee programme ...... but had to leave before the speeches, so missed Tim ? forget his second name, resigning from something or other.

Victor, am I sunny enough for you today? Such a shame that you did not come and "out" yourself at the BBKA Convention .... I was in such a sunny mood :) and utterly impressed by lots of things, not least the hard-working volunteers. At the BBKA Annual dinner I met some utterly charming Ludlow beeks who are pursuing a native black bee programme ...... but had to leave before the speeches, so missed Tim ? forget his second name, resigning from something or other.

I saw you crossing the car park, thought about introducing myself but you looked a little worried ? Distracted ? Lost? I don't quite know ,so I gave it a miss !
VM (John)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is wrong with the time of posts here? have we been sucked into a worm hole.

Last edited:
What is wrong with the time of posts here? have we been sucked into a worm hole.
Showing OK here...or 1 hour out it's 21:17 according to me: 22:eek:dd according to time stamp

I saw you crossing the car park, thought about introducing myself but you looked a little worried ? Distracted ? Lost? I don't quite know ,so I gave it a miss !
VM (John)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks :) Yes, unaccompanied I tend to be worried :); my mates were in the trade hall. Next time, then .....

Hey, Philip, sorry, I was serious! I detect a distinct pedagogical streak in your posts, and meant what I said! You take your bees seriously, take your learning seriously and enjoy passing it on, do you not?
And there is no call to defer to my experience, the longer I have bees the less I know, that's all I know.

OK, thank you, sorry if I responded inappropriately, I should have had more sense ... I read something into your post that, clearly, was not there .... trouble is ... there's a fair amount of sarcasm spread about on here and one can get tainted with the same brush ...

I think that's the first time I've ever been called a pedagogue ... I hope that's in the old sense of the word and not the modern idiom .. 'pedantic and uninteresting' ... or there again - perhaps I am !

Philip:
I think that's the first time I've ever been called a pedagogue ... I hope that's in the old sense of the word and not the modern idiom .. 'pedantic and uninteresting' ... or there again - perhaps I am ![/QUOTE]

I use little modern idiom, so, yes, pedagogical in the true sense of the word.
It's easy to misunderstand communications on screen, no handwriting, no voice, no facial expressions - so please don't worry.

Philip:
I think that's the first time I've ever been called a pedagogue ... I hope that's in the old sense of the word and not the modern idiom .. 'pedantic and uninteresting' ... or there again - perhaps I am !

I use little modern idiom, so, yes, pedagogical in the true sense of the word.
It's easy to misunderstand communications on screen, no handwriting, no voice, no facial expressions - so please don't worry.[/QUOTE]

You are right about the screen written word - it can often lose a lot in the mental translation and often comments are out of context or worse still, within a different context.

I don't worry Heidi, I don't sleep much but I sleep soundly ... nothing much upsets me to the point where it lingers for any length of time - too much strife in my past life to get worked up these days !!

I was lucky enough to hear you, Heidi, at my local BKA. I think you called us all butchers or somesuch in the nicest and most direct but inoffensive way and I found the whole experience fascinating. I suggest you say "hello" next time, Victor...

Are you quite sure about that? I count a butcher amongst my very good friends and would not normally countenance usinf the term in a pejorative manner - however, thank you for testifying to my stance of "inoffensiveness". One tries! And I rarely insult my hosts :)

What on earth are they doing??

Put the queen on a post then put her in a nuc. Looks like a seriously more complex form of nucleus method. Best practice, I think not!

M

What on earth are they doing??

Put the queen on a post then put her in a nuc. Looks like a seriously more complex form of nucleus method. Best practice, I think not!

M

... and hardly a conventional method of AS leaving the original hive in its original location ... rather straying into 'good TV' territory ! I hope there's not a few new beekeepers hanging on every word !!

You've got to bet they are......shouting at the tv, my phone has had 3 texts already, still, it makes me yearn for mid summer, wild flowers and the fun of swarm control and swarm catching.....

Rain rain go away
Regards

S

I hope there's not a few new beekeepers hanging on every word !!

I don't want to be explaining to new beekeepers why we don't use that ludicrous method! It was bad enough telling us that clipping the queen is the solution to the problem when I think most of us will agree that it is not a replacement to swarm inspections and swarm control.

M

Extractor - not sure it would pass an environmental health inspection.

Was a bit puzzled with this programme tonight when they were trying the 'fresh' honey which had poured so easily out of the frames and extractor, and seemed to be brick hard when they were spreading it on they're toast!!!

Was a bit puzzled with this programme tonight when they were trying the 'fresh' honey which had poured so easily out of the frames and extractor, and seemed to be brick hard when they were spreading it on they're toast!!!

It was clearly OSR and I enjoyed her face being polite about her own honey when in Ep 1 she had said she didn't like OSR. She was very brave through the whole show. I don't have enough knowledge to criticize the beekeeping methods of her mentor but I suspect others might. Heidi you were wonderful; well done.

Back