Bbc 4

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BBC channel 4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only worth watching as real beehives (WBC's) are being used.
But lady has not got a clue as how to stack the outers, or even as how to correctly refit a roof.
And puffing smoke into the entrance and using a feeder board with open holes, obviously needs a master-class in the art of keeping bees in WBC's most wonderful invention.
And as for the stack 'em high double brood and 3 supers vicar of London, He must have been smiling down on him with divine intervention.

Compulsive viewing nevertheless.

I noticed the Julia Bradbury episode has taught dearest Heidi to wear safety glasses when approaching her cosseted pets :)
VM

Victor! Thank you for the "dearest", very sweet. Well, we live and we learn, don't we, but I assure you that I have sported these decorator's goggles pre-countryfile. Whilst not very flattering, they really make so much sense.

As for Martha's wish to get some wildflower honey, someone a few posts up from here opined that I might be disappointed; now that is a strange notion indeed. I am in the process of sowing two meadows (with help:) in the fervent hope that my cosseted bees will deposit a little surplus in that box which fits so neatly over the sunhive.

Regarding the programme "Wonder of Bees" : I feel we can all be delighted that bees and beekeeping are featured more and more in the media, as this is bound to make people more aware and more supportive of them.

Martha Kearney clearly cares about her bees, is keen to learn and engages the viewer very nicely.

Having read some of the discussion of the programme I wonder whether it would not be helpful sometimes to engage in less nit-picking; it does not reflect well on beekeepers when it gets out of hand, as it easily does. Obe can choose to see what is positive and comment on that, too, as some contributors have done.

I would have loved to see the Most Rev. Julian Welby interact with his bees, but, there goes. His comments were charming.

All the best,

Heidi

But lady has not got a clue as how to stack the outers, or even as how to correctly refit a roof.
And puffing smoke into the entrance and using a feeder board with open holes, obviously needs a master-class in the art of keeping bees in WBC's most wonderful invention.
And as for the stack 'em high double brood and 3 supers vicar of London, He must have been smiling down on him with divine intervention.

Giving they are filming I wouldn't assume that the inspections are done in a contiguous sequence. I'm enjoying it, some of the stuff she was doing seems a little odd but they are her bees and live and let live.

It's a great show.

She's been keeping bees for 10 years.
It's all scripted for entertainment.
My step daughter and her family were entranced and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Please don't take my comments as being anti-Heidi - I find her techniques interesting and her love of bees is to be commended. (I hope that is not too patronising - that was not the intended tone!) I just find it interesting that as soon as the TV gets onto a niche subject, particularly if it is of a scientific nature, it finds it necessary to use people with a non-UK accent... and yes, I do realise that sunbeehive is Heidi :)

I also realise that I am very lucky in living far away from intensive arable agriculture. (It's too hilly and wet around here.) My bees produce a variety of multi-floral honeys that vary with the season and in such abundance that there is plenty to see them through the winter and allow the bee keeper enough to see him through the winter, too.

I must say that all my non-beekeeping friends found the programme interesting and instructive. (I did have to nit-pick that they said it takes a worker 16 days to hatch... and the state of those gloves!) But then I think that a forum like this and BKAs are asylums for bee keepers to protect the wider world from having to hear ALL about our various obsessions ;-) We might find levels of insulations, varroa dehydration and treatment, re-queening methods and the difference between an artificial swarm and a split interesting... but strangely when I mention them to my non-beekeeping friends they swiftly change the subject.

I noticed the Julia Bradbury episode has taught dearest Heidi to wear safety glasses when approaching her cosseted pets :)
VM

Has that one already been on? Only seen the first two.

The glasses would probably have been an insurance requirement for the site of their shoot.

I agree –-she has no technique –-but that is explained to a degree by her allergy preventing her from inspecting alone.

However, I use crown boards with holes in and have no problems with them. I know this will be seen as schismatic, but if the bees are happy, well, the bees are happy.

I though it was double brood at first, but it looked like there was a QX in between the two boxes. Could be they were using a brood as a super, but I didn't stop it to have a look as the missus was enjoying it.

Most Rev. Julian Welby

It's Justin! :facts:

The latest program was a significant improvement on the first we're moving in the right direction, oh and good to see some balanced scientific analysis. Rather enjoyed the program actually.

M

We might find levels of insulations, varroa dehydration and treatment, re-queening methods and the difference between an artificial swarm and a split interesting... but strangely when I mention them to my non-beekeeping friends they swiftly change the subject.

Or glaze over ....

Generally though, I've done quite a few public events with our Association and Joe Public is really interested in bees and beekeeping, they often have little concept of what/how bees make honey and are fascinated when they see the comb, virtual hives, observation hives and equipment we have to show them and talk about the basics ... I really enjoy the interaction at these events.

I think the programme, so far, has hit just the right level for the non-beekeeper who is interested ... I do hope that it develops to the point where people are told to make sure they get some in-depth knowledge before 'they try this at home'. Otherwise we could have a forum full of OMG what have I done nows ... later in the season !!

It's Justin! :facts:

The latest program was a significant improvement on the first we're moving in the right direction, oh and good to see some balanced scientific analysis. Rather enjoyed the program actually.

M

Thank you, it's Justin indeed! Here's a lovely piece about him http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...-about-my-day-at-school-and-pretty-girls.html

By the way, aren't you the youngest member of some association? In that case, take it from me that you sound a little pompous, sorry to say. I guess the BBC will be much re-assured by your conciliatory comments, of late.

Just accept the fact that for most people - and it is pichted at most people, the programme is a source of fascination and wonder; isn't that just marvellous? People love bees, many do, and seeing beekeepers doing stuff on television is just a treat; even for most beekeepers, as many have mirrored in their responses here.

And to Philip (Pargyle) : if the forum should indeed get overrun by enthusiastic beginners, you will be happy :) You can advise them all!

With regard to my Beloved Leader, Justin, I suspect he doesn't tend the 6 Lambeth Palace hives himself.

Several years of theological textual analysis, and involvement in the labyrinthine world of clerical politics, led me to the following conclusions:

1) his closest experiences with bees were with his granny;
2) he might well talk to the bees - but the Prince of Wales talks to trees without being a tree surgeon;
3) my mighty leader spoke about the churches' history with bees, as if he'd read a rather poor briefing paper by a flunky, thirty minutes before being interviewed.

When he's talking on things about which he has knowledge and passion, he's far more erudite.

Good job I'm not up for preferment!

Dusty

And to Philip (Pargyle) : if the forum should indeed get overrun by enthusiastic beginners, you will be happy :) You can advise them all!

Well ... thanks for that Heidi .... I participate if I think I have something to contribute but clearly I would never dream of offering advice to someone as experienced as you ... perhaps though - best hit the pargyle ignore button and then there's less risk of being offended or hitting your sarcasm button ? Pity really ... thought you were a bit above this.

Thank you, it's Justin indeed! Here's a lovely piece about him http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...-about-my-day-at-school-and-pretty-girls.html

By the way, aren't you the youngest member of some association? In that case, take it from me that you sound a little pompous, sorry to say. I guess the BBC will be much re-assured by your conciliatory comments, of late.

Just accept the fact that for most people - and it is pichted at most people, the programme is a source of fascination and wonder; isn't that just marvellous? People love bees, many do, and seeing beekeepers doing stuff on television is just a treat; even for most beekeepers, as many have mirrored in their responses here.

I wasn't impressed by the first show, I can't say much more than that. The second show was clearly much better. I understand that they are aiming to 'entertain' but I think the bees are interesting enough as they are. More facts and bees, less camera work for me, that's not to say people who enjoyed it are wrong but it's simply my opinion.

I think its a shame that they haven't mentioned where to become a beekeeper. They have yet to mention local beekeeping groups, traditional or 'natural'.

But still as many have already said it is good to see bees on TV.

M

P.s We can all be a little pontifical at times, being young has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
P.s We can all be a little pontifical at times, being young has nothing to do with it.

Very true :) including the one with the less than 'sunny' disposition:D
VM

was the purchased queen marked (from Ep2) "green" for TV, as the program was recorded last year in 2013 (I thought!) and should have been marked red as supplied from f****** p*****, although the Web Page she click on was C****** H***** Bees! (her old nasty queen was marked yellow, and refereed to as last years queen 2012)

so a little confused, and it does not take much...

(not that I'm any Expert, other than my two overwintered nucs, which arrived, both have Red 2013 Marked Queens from last year!)

Latest posts

Back