Attacked without provocation .....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzingalong

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
While visiting a public garden today I was attacked by three bees and stung by two of them, but I'm not sure why as I wasn't doing anything to agitate them.

I won't mention the name of the gardens for fear of causing them any problems (but I have emailed them about the 'event').

I'm trying to figure out why this occurred, this is the first time that I've been stung by any bees for at least 20 years.

The public garden is a very large area which has some beehives in one location - these are separated from the public by a small walk through "hut" and you can see the hives through large glass/perspex panes.

I wasn't in the hut, I was on a footpath nearby - I heard a permanent buzzing sound in my hair near one ear, combed it out then a few seconds later felt a sting, then saw the bee (a honey bee) lyiing on the ground. A few seconds later I heard more buzzing and felt another sting, then more buzzing (but thankfully this one didn't sting me). The stings were moderately painful and left red marks about 1cm across.

I'm not normally worried by bees, but I was certainly agitated when I realised they were in my hair and after the first sting I tried rubbing my hair and even covering up my head with my coat to prevent any further stings. Perhaps this agitated the bees some more? Even so, what else was I to do after one had stung me for no apparent reason?

I am of course perplexed as to why this happened - could the bee area have some abnormally agrressive bees? If so this seems unusual for a public garden.

Incidentally I did find and pull out the two stings (which I discarded).

After the first, you would have been a target anyway because of the pheremones. Could the first have been an accident because of the hair? For example, I've never been stung in my garden, but my wife has had bees tangle in her hair twice with one of these stinging her.

After the first, you would have been a target anyway because of the pheremones. Could the first have been an accident because of the hair? For example, I've never been stung in my garden, but my wife has had bees tangle in her hair twice with one of these stinging her.

Ditto. Fortunately my wife does not have an adverse reaction from being done by my bees in my garden apiary - otherwise they might be for the chop.

Your wifes been stung in her garden? Nasty.:icon_204-2:
As for the OP isnt E mailing the gardens about it going to cause the beekeeper problems? As your on here are you a beekeeper? If you are then surely you should have an idea why you were stung?

you dont need to be a beekeeper to become a member and ask a question. if you see the OP is new today and it was their first post.

It could be a number of reasons they decided to sting, from becoming entangled in your hair and this causing them to sting which then caused the second as the sting wasn't removed straight away. it could be the colony is queenless this can make them more feisty or they could have a new queen with the wrong traits (becoming nasty).

hopefully the email you sent wasn't one that causes the beekeeper an issue but more of an enquiry that the beekeeper may be able to answer.

you dont need to be a beekeeper to become a member and ask a question. if you see the OP is new today and it was their first post.

It could be a number of reasons they decided to sting, from becoming entangled in your hair and this causing them to sting which then caused the second as the sting wasn't removed straight away. it could be the colony is queenless this can make them more feisty or they could have a new queen with the wrong traits (becoming nasty).

hopefully the email you sent wasn't one that causes the beekeeper an issue but more of an enquiry that the beekeeper may be able to answer.

As you rightly point out, I'm new here and not a beekeeper. I joined the forum to ask advice from the experts. :)

The email that I sent to the gardens in question was polite and detailed but wasn't written in a way that would cause any trouble.

I don't think that my hair is long enough for a bee to become entangled in it. :)

I don't think that my hair is long enough for a bee to become entangled in it. :)

I have a problem with my black curly hair, and beard, and it's not long.

For some strange reason, bees do tend to crash into my head, get tangled in my hair, panic and sting. I've been stung twice on the temple due to tangled bees, that was around hives observing with no protection.

I was also at a BBQ last year, I had not inspected any bees all week, had no bee cloths on or suit, did not smell of bees.

a honey bee crashed into my hair at the BBQ, and I got stung on the temple.

Everybody at the BBQ, though it hilarious, that the only person to get stung, was the beekeeper!

At least I knew what to expect!

I now where protection when I'm around any hive, observing, cutting grass etc

One of the best pieces of advice I have been given with regard to bees is if one get tangled in your hair instantly slap it with the palm of your hand as fast as you can. You might expect this would elicit a sting but if your quick the stunned bee will fall off. If you try to pull it out, it will panic & you're almost guaranteed a sting.
Unfortunately slapping your head always provokes mirth from onlookers :conehead:

Last edited:
I have always thought that bees defense their hive. That it why bees have sting and teeth. Bees do not attack on field for fun.... it is virus. Often told that they hate weather.

Another odd idea.... Beehives in public garden where nothing irritates the beehives. However I have heard stories that beehive has killed chickens and a doc on own home yard.

And what about that habit in winter: Stethoscope and knock knock, are you alive...

Last edited:
Reading this forum it seems to be quite a common virus.

Yes, it's called putting up with poor bees!
I agree with others that after the first sting pheromones would attract others to join in.
The OP did the right thing contacting the gardens as the bees being kept there or near to there are obviously defensive and need to be sorted out before they cause a real issue.
In defence of the bees, the weather has been poor recently and they do become more agitated but there is no excuse for unprovoked attacks.
I guess there could be a feral colony as well but either way they need sorting.
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any sweat is an irritant to bees..

Even the best of mine used to sting me when I cam back from a run if I ventured too near when they were flying..

It does not need be liquid: dried will do.

Ditto perfume, aftershave, cologne, haircream, lacquer. etc...

perplexed

The simple options. You were buzzed and the bees reacted. Trying to ward off bees usually leads to being stung.

As to why the bees were there. Think of the simple options - you arrived shortly after the beek had stirred them up with inspections or there is a colony which is aggressive and needs attention?

We all have 'following' bees at some time or other if a beekeeper long enough.

Another possible is shortage of forage, which tends to make them less tolerant of interference of their close 'airspace', especially if their stores have been stolen.

Direction of entrances might be a factor, as might you odour or clothing (particularly dark coloured).

But trying to swat, instead of retiring, is the most common reason for getting stung.

Normally my bees try to sting into hair or to eyes. So they do attack visually

Last edited:
I think I know the location or at least a place with a similar set up. Coincidentally, I was stung when I visited as well. However, it was about 5 years ago, so I am guessing it only happens now and again.

Any sweat is an irritant to bees..

Even the best of mine used to sting me when I cam back from a run if I ventured too near when they were flying..

It does not need be liquid: dried will do.

Ditto perfume, aftershave, cologne, haircream, lacquer. etc...

Don't know about the perfume or aftershave, but we are usually dripping with sweat, clothing soaked, while examining the bees all day in the warm weather, they don't take a blind bit of notice regards aggression, even if the sweat is dripping right on top of them.

While visiting a public garden today I was attacked by three bees and stung by two of them, but I'm not sure why as I wasn't doing anything to agitate them.

The public garden is a very large area which has some beehives in one location - these are separated from the public by a small walk through "hut" and you can see the hives through large glass/perspex panes.

Hidcote?

Back