Association - CIO?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B+.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Quite a few
Has anyone got any experience/knowledge of beekeeping associations that have become Charitable Incorporated Organisations?
It was the Bedfordoshire Beekeepers Association agm (egm) today and the committee seemed quite keen on it.

Has anyone got any experience/knowledge of beekeeping associations that have become Charitable Incorporated Organisations?
It was the Bedfordoshire Beekeepers Association agm (egm) today and the committee seemed quite keen on it.

Manchester last year I believe..

We've just become a CIO and I'm also now a trustee.
We also had our AGM today.
I'll find out a bit more about it in the next couple of week.

Last edited:
We've just become a CIO and I'm also now a trustee.
We also had our AGM today.
I'll find out a bit more about it in the next couple of week.

I'd be interested to hear anything you find out Mark. There was a large majority in favour but I'm just not that convinced its in the members interests (I abstained).

Leics & Rutland became a CIO in 2016.

One of the main benefits as far as I am concerned is that a CIO is a separate entity in its own right, meaning it can own property and employ staff, so trustees are not held responsible for any liabilities or debts incurred by the charity. More members therefore are willing to volunteer as trustees and the onus does not fall repeatedly on the same few shoulders.

I'd be interested to hear anything you find out Mark. There was a large majority in favour but I'm just not that convinced its in the members interests (I abstained).

I'll pm you when I know more .

One of the main benefits as far as I am concerned is that a CIO is a separate entity in its own right, meaning it can own property and employ staff, so trustees are not held responsible for any liabilities or debts incurred by the charity. More members therefore are willing to volunteer as trustees and the onus does not fall repeatedly on the same few shoulders.

Yes. That's how the committee "sold it" at the agm today.
I suppose I don't really have a problem with people being protected, but, it's been my experience that people take more risks when they feel they are protected.

Another big benefit is that as well as being protected by a kind of 'charitable' status with limited liability, unlike full blown charities, you don't have to submit accounts to companies house

Another big benefit is that as well as being protected by a kind of 'charitable' status with limited liability, unlike full blown charities, you don't have to submit accounts to companies house

Beds BKA is already a registered charity. There was no question of submitting reports to companies house.
I'm more interested in what experience people have had further down the line.

There is a similar/same scheme in Scotland. My experience is that what really matters are the rules you initially set up, the fact that often its led by one or two zealous people with other tacitly agreeing. Accounts do need to be kept - and approved by a third party and sent to a central place along with annual reports etc. For simplicity its best to follow best practices adopted by registered charities. If you own goods/property remember to show depreciation properly in your accounts. And Yes you are right to be concerned about folks taking risks because it comes down to accountability - given the way many beekeepers respond to each other on this forum !!!

There is a similar/same scheme in Scotland. My experience is that what really matters are the rules you initially set up, the fact that often its led by one or two zealous people with other tacitly agreeing. Accounts do need to be kept - and approved by a third party and sent to a central place along with annual reports etc. For simplicity its best to follow best practices adopted by registered charities. If you own goods/property remember to show depreciation properly in your accounts. And Yes you are right to be concerned about folks taking risks because it comes down to accountability - given the way many beekeepers respond to each other on this forum !!!

Thank you for that Murox.
We are fortunate to have a qualified accountant as our treasurer so our financial records are correct. They are also reviewed by another accountant and presented at the agm. I am pretty sure that all of that is correct.
It is a big step though, to dissolve an organisation that has existed for so long and forming a new one. I am just a little concerned that the committee took it upon themselves to do all that work without involving the membership. Obviously, this lack of transparency can leave people wondering why change when things have worked so well for so long.

Thank you for that Murox.
We are fortunate to have a qualified accountant as our treasurer so our financial records are correct. They are also reviewed by another accountant and presented at the agm. I am pretty sure that all of that is correct.
It is a big step though, to dissolve an organisation that has existed for so long and forming a new one. I am just a little concerned that the committee took it upon themselves to do all that work without involving the membership. Obviously, this lack of transparency can leave people wondering why change when things have worked so well for so long.

Perhaps the way to think about it is not so much "dissolving" but more evolution/development. Though you all need to be absolutely clear about the aims/goals/objectives (all different things) of the CIO. The status of CIO will open the door to a variety of funding possibilities.

Perhaps the way to think about it is not so much "dissolving" but more evolution/development. Though you all need to be absolutely clear about the aims/goals/objectives (all different things) of the CIO. The status of CIO will open the door to a variety of funding possibilities.

What are the possibilities?

Wow! Certainly lots of stuff out there. To be fair, I don't think any of that was the reason behind converting - but amazing to see.

Any group of people can form themselves into a club/society/association, with members, a constitution, etc. Banks will provide accounts to such groups. However, such an association is not a legal entity. It cannot own property. Liability rests with the committee members and, perhaps, the members in general. As others have pointed out, certain grant-funding opportunities and tax breaks are not available.

Incorporating as a CIO addresses the above issues, and more, at the expense of an increased administrative overhead. CIO is not the only way to go, private company limited by guarantee or limited liability partnership would be possible alternatives. However, for activities such as bee keeping, people would probably feel happier belonging to something with “charity” in its title.

Back