Assassin Honey Bees :(

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Only I know :D :D
I've been contacted by the farmer today, seems my bees have killed several magpies that were all caught in the Larsen traps.

1. What could of caused this?
2. How to prevent this in future?

I've never had any issues like this with my bees but I'm told that my bees have been using all water features in garden for collecting water and in lots of numbers.

I thought they could of possible gone through mesh of Larsen traps to use there water bowl for water and ended up fighting a defending magpie.

Any ideas on this behavior?

Thanks

had it once.. I don't put traps near my bees now. don't know why they did it but they did. suppose they could of been trying 2 defend there hive.. are the traps near youre bees??

Unfortunately yes about 1-3 feet away but they will be moved to a more suitable location this week, and hopefully no other problems will occur like this.

Thing is them traps been there every season I've had them never had problems until this weekend :(.

Defensive behaviour, and not necessarily your bees fault. A bit silly to put a larsen trap close to hives, and annoying for the farmer to have his bait magpie killed. But it happens. I've seen the decoy bird dead in the trap too, apparently spooked (frightened to death) by foxes trying to get at it.

When I visited my out-apiary I found a freshly dead mouse on the ground in front of the hive - presumed it had tried to get in, the bees had other ideas.

I've been contacted by the farmer today, seems my bees have killed several magpies that were all caught in the Larsen traps.

1. What could of caused this?
2. How to prevent this in future?

I've never had any issues like this with my bees but I'm told that my bees have been using all water features in garden for collecting water and in lots of numbers.

I thought they could of possible gone through mesh of Larsen traps to use there water bowl for water and ended up fighting a defending magpie.

Any ideas on this behavior?

Thanks

He surely wasn't complaining, was he? The traps were there to catch the magpies, weren't they? AH, yes, the loss of the bait.

Fascinating, though. Magpies were a problem on my allotment a few years ago, but there have been far more small birds the last few years so the magpies aren't quite so dominant as they were.

Not moaning just a tad concerned possibly, I personally think the bees were using the magpies water bowl and the magpie must of done something which kicked bees into defence mode.

Hopefully all will be okay once trap are moved, going to stick some water bowls in the apiary also try my best to deter the bees form being a nuisance.

Fascinating, though. Magpies were a problem on my allotment a few years ago, but there have been far more small birds the last few years so the magpies aren't quite so dominant as they were.[/QUOTE]

Really??? Whys that do you think?

Back