Asian Hornet - Update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been reading these Asian hornet threads with great interest, particularly from those on the "front line".
Came across a post on an old thread on the same topic which seems to tie up a lot of the observations about hawking and then hive invasion. Not sure how accurate it is, perhaps those who have to deal with it can comment on that. Thought I would repeat it before disappearing into my usual lurker status before Jenkins gets his trolling gear out.

Was talking to someone involved in their control should they invade the UK. It's not good reading. If a single colony gets missed they are capable of generating around 100 new queens each seasons.
Also very interesting behavior, unlike the European Hornet that likes a few flying bees daily The Asian Hornets tactics are long term designed to eventually get access and destroy the whole the colony. They have a main nest and then scouts find suitable feeding stations where second "bivouac" nests are established. (in eradicating them the main nest has to be found).

Their initial tactics are to keep the bees confined inside the hive, knocking off the odd one or twenty as they can. It only takes two or three Asian hornets to keep an entire hive confined inside. You can see this on any of the videos where there are bees clustered on the entrances but not flying and foraging and only two or three hornets being deployed in confining the whole hive. Eventually the bees use up their stores as they aren't foraging....weaken and then the invasion by 1000's of them. A veritable feast around mid summer and result is beeless hive.

The difficulty for the beekeeper if they become endemic is that of finding the main nest.....which if you do their tactics are to send a lone hornet out to deter the possible intruder. If this doesn't work then they attack in mass.

The simplest solution is to move your bees to another apairy site away from the hornets bivouac nest site. So migratory beekeepers should be fine. It's the two hives stuck in the back garden where problems can really arise. Particularity as the preferable areas for nesting sites are urban, lightly wooded (tree lined streets). Alternatively you can stand guuard all day knocking them off with a tennis racket....

Apparently the NBU rate them a much more dangerous threat than SHB.
Despite their establishing themselves in France the threat is still light because they haven't reached their full potential yet and are still spreading into virgin territory. It's when they get established and hundreds of nesting sites appear in single areas that the problems really start. i.e when there is competition between the hornets for the available food resources.
It's a pretty frightening thought....I shall think kindly of of our Europen variety knocking off our flying bees in future.

. . . . Why is the European Hornet just confined to certain areas of Britain and non existent here in Ireland?

could we expect the Asian Hornet to colonise only the same areas until such time that climate change makes the rest of the isles suitable for them?

Good old Irish greenery doesn't come without driven rain? :icon_204-2:

Last edited:
Been reading these Asian hornet threads with great interest, particularly from those on the "front line".
Came across a post on an old thread on the same topic which seems to tie up a lot of the observations about hawking and then hive invasion. Not sure how accurate it is, perhaps those who have to deal with it can comment on that. Thought I would repeat it before disappearing into my usual lurker status before Jenkins gets his trolling gear out.

I think some of the info is mixed with the giant asian hornet.

As far as I know they generate many hundreds of queens, depending on the size of the nest

I think at the start of the year they make their initial nest, then move to a location and build a larger nest nearer a food source (Apiary) I'll add a dodgy video of a nest near my hives a few years ago. Videos with dslr's are hard work.

https://youtu.be/qYMMj76ljKA

Asians do confine bees, they dont invade in their 1000's though and infact rarely go inside a hive, they really became a problem here about a month ago so they really show up late summer.

Nests are VERY difficult to find, usually they appear in winter once the leaves fall off, they dont attack in numbers unless you come accross a nest, they are very defensive then but usually so high up a tree.

I agree its the 2 or 3 hive people who are going to suffer although I lost 2 very strong 10 frame hives in one apiary alone in less than a month, the comercial beekeepers suffer too. Moving hives is an option and I have done that once, however, here finding a site without hornets is impossible. The tennis racket idea is well tried by me over the last few years and you dont even make a dent in the population, a complete waste of time.

They have spread throughout Portugal now, a real problem in the Lisbon area and the South which isnt even documented by authorities as yet. I believe they wont have reached anything near full potential.

These are my opinions and certainly not necessarily correct!

I think some of the info is mixed with the giant asian hornet.

As far as I know they generate many hundreds of queens, depending on the size of the nest

I think at the start of the year they make their initial nest, then move to a location and build a larger nest nearer a food source (Apiary) I'll add a dodgy video of a nest near my hives a few years ago. Videos with dslr's are hard work.

https://youtu.be/qYMMj76ljKA

Asians do confine bees, they dont invade in their 1000's though and infact rarely go inside a hive, they really became a problem here about a month ago so they really show up late summer.

Nests are VERY difficult to find, usually they appear in winter once the leaves fall off, they dont attack in numbers unless you come accross a nest, they are very defensive then but usually so high up a tree.

I agree its the 2 or 3 hive people who are going to suffer although I lost 2 very strong 10 frame hives in one apiary alone in less than a month, the comercial beekeepers suffer too. Moving hives is an option and I have done that once, however, here finding a site without hornets is impossible. The tennis racket idea is well tried by me over the last few years and you dont even make a dent in the population, a complete waste of time.

They have spread throughout Portugal now, a real problem in the Lisbon area and the South which isnt even documented by authorities as yet. I believe they wont have reached anything near full potential.

These are my opinions and certainly not necessarily correct!

You sure do need to write a book, your information and experience with hornets is hands on experience, not something you have read or maybe researched. ? , what ever write a book on Hornet control because you will be onto a winner In the UK even if we do not have them yet. ;)

Been meaning to raise this question. We just don't get hornets over here although I know a couple of beekeepers who claim to have been called in to help deal with hornets nests in the middle of imported materials.... Does Ireland lack sufficient insect life to allow hornet colonies to build up in Spring?

Well I'm fairly as much south as you can get on the UK mainland, bar Cornwall, however, never seen any European hornets in our area, even before keeping bees, and I've been here around 20 years. Maybe it's because I'm too near the coast, approx 500 metres.. Who knows!

Crabro tends to follow orchard country and especially likes nesting in oak trees. From what I recollect of Eastbourne you have to travel a few miles north before you see much in the way of fruit crops. Plus in summer I guess Southerlies coming off the sea would put nests the wrong side of sources of food.

Been meaning to raise this question. We just don't get hornets over here although I know a couple of beekeepers who claim to have been called in to help deal with hornets nests in the middle of imported materials.... Does Ireland lack sufficient insect life to allow hornet colonies to build up in Spring?

St Patrick

If they ever do become established I may import some hornet resistant bees from the USA, Fusion power is bound to have some of them in stock.

:)

Based on my observations, A cerana seem no less vulnerable to V. velutina than A. meliferra. Their usual defence to being stressed by hornets is to move to a new location. In Laos PDR rural beekeepers fully expect their bees to leave the apiary during the hornet season, (June - Oct) but know that in Nov/Dec they will return.

I thought they had a defence mechanism where they lure hornets into the hive and kill them?

Last edited:
Just filmed this at a farm near my apiaries. ( 1 kilometre) hopefully we've got it before the queens disperse. Excuse the poor quality of film on u tube. will attach a few pics too, just shows you how low to the ground they can be. this one will be destroyed this evening when most are back home.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=13628&stc=1&d=1475831879k .http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=13629&stc=1&d=1475832110

flying at 5 degrees this morning. if you look closely you can see them flying in a steady stream.

https://youtu.be/Yezx2wZC1pY

Attachments

• IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0315.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Haven't read all of the of posts yet. How do you intend to destroy it? Sorry if already covered.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Haven't read all of the of posts yet. How do you intend to destroy it? Sorry if already covered.

No Problem!
It will be done this evening. we hope!! by a guy who says he's done lots!! its nothing to do with me, i just happened to be with his mate who also keeps bees.
Its really a job for a professional, with a decent suit, like a 3,000 euro suit. Not a beekeepers outfit but he knows the risks!!

Last edited:
You been on the broon? We do have them, 2 discovered nests to date and more to come.

One nest discovered, and no sightings of any hornets since it was destroyed. Reading between the liners the Mendip one was old news dragged back up because of all the publicity.

Crabro tends to follow orchard country and especially likes nesting in oak trees. From what I recollect of Eastbourne you have to travel a few miles north before you see much in the way of fruit crops. Plus in summer I guess Southerlies coming off the sea would put nests the wrong side of sources of food.

Yes you're right, we have a lot of pasture and meadow around us, but you do have to travel some way before you see any substantial "fruit country". Therefore lack of sightings would make sense.

Has there been any information released regarding the maturity of the 'Tetbury' nest? Wondered how easy it would be to tell if any queens had been released from it, prior to it being destroyed?

Latest posts

Back