Asian Hornet - Update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do any birds / other wildlife predate on hornets?
If so, won't this get you in trouble with the Wildlife Act?

My chickens eat absolutely everything. They dont eat hornets though. I think the risk has to be very small, these things head full speed towards their nest, hopefully there they drop their guts!

I understand but you can do some rudimentary dosing studies to work out the best concentration of fipronil for the syrup and how much you can daub onto the hornet. Perhaps better still, might be that you can use icing sugar to make a slow release paste (a toxic fondant) that you daub onto the back of the hornet. That will slow down the absorption of the dose and also once the hornet gets back to the nest its colleagues will clean it hopefully distributing more of the fipronil throughout the nest.

Will the risk not be higher if it drops off and a bee eats it? The way i'm doing it the only way the poison is going anywhere else is if its eaten, I dont know much that would tackle a hornet.

It's a maritime term - used to classify sizes of tankers and bulk cargo ships.

as in: VVLCC ( Veryvery large crude carrier) - Big F**K off tanker

Yep that must be the nest, they have a talent of picking the biggest, most out of reach, hardest to see through, trees. I was once stood right next to a tree with a nest in and the guy was showing me the nest for about 10 mins and I still couldnt see it. I had my doubts they would find it, well done NBU, hope the queens are still in it.

My chickens eat absolutely everything. They dont eat hornets though.
They need training that hornets are food!
The Chinese have been known use their hens/chickens to eat hornets and keep them in their apiaries as "hornet guards". They train the young chickens to eat a diet of hornets by feeding buckets of maize/corn laced with dead hornets. Reduce maize/corn increase dead hornets. So they associate the hornets as food. Remove the maize and leave them in the apiary to deal with the live hornets as their (now) sole source of food.
However, getting sufficient dead hornets to feed them with would seem to the main stumbling block.

Anybody noticed this thread has got nearly 3.5K views?
An armed drone sounds neat. Do you think the NBU might have one or would they have to maybe borrow one from Amazon

Back