Asian Hornet - Update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The government would make more by levying a tax on cycles and cyclists... they seem to be the ones complaining about the state of the roads... and do not spend one farthing towards their up keep!

AND how would the HMRC be able to collect tax from two hiver's honey sales... who only sell a couple of pounds of honey a season... and at a big loss?

Yeghes da

How else can the NBU be funded except through taxation as it is now?

It's not a matter of if so much as who and how.

Turn all the motorways into toll roads... with lots of toll gates on all of them, especially the M25.

It's not a matter of if so much as who and how.

Well with all the oodles of money the Brexitnuggeteers will have us believe will be lying around unwanted after we leave Europe. we will be able to double the number of SBIs and they'll be paying us to look at our bees!!

It sounds like the two confirmed sightings of Asian Hornets have been dealt with, and that is great news but I would urge Beeks in the Tetbury and Mendip areas to stay on the lookout for hornet nests high up in the tops of trees. These are often hard to spot until the leaves fall. Although any nests would probably be deserted by now, it would still be worth reporting anything suspicious.

Hi changmai member on hols in phetchabun ..Just bought mosquito zapper (recharge type) any good for wasps and if we get in wet west wales Asian Hornet?

Personally speaking, think the greatest barrier to these guys will be the lower temperatures we experience. Bit of sensationalism here to, people seem to forget ( here ) the european Hornet is a Rare sight. I have seen none, and being a Nature nut.. i would see them. So chances of asian Hornets turning up in northern England and Ireland and establishing are extremely low.... I would say as low as say... Donald Trump being President of America ! :)

If they can live in Korea they'll have no problem in the UK.

If they can live in Korea they'll have no problem in the UK.
:iagree:
I say your correct. This was my whole argument of trying to get the message across. They forage better and are generally more successful than the Common hornet proven to fly 5 or 6 degrees cooler than the common hornet too.

Thats not to say they will have huge nests, but their just a very dynamic, clever , efficient insect!!

South Korea has extensive rice paddy's in the South of the country and is very different to the UK. It would appear that velutina has adapted in Korea to become more urbanised. I don't see the parallels in the UK. Velutina has largely replaced the indiginous hornet in Korea in those areas that it has established itself but interestingly the native hornet is very similar to velutina in respect of nesting habit and size suggesting that ecologically the right conditions exist to support velutina.

South Korea has extensive rice paddy's in the South of the country and is very different to the UK. It would appear that velutina has adapted in Korea to become more urbanised. I don't see the parallels in the UK. Velutina has largely replaced the indiginous hornet in Korea in those areas that it has established itself but interestingly the native hornet is very similar to velutina in respect of nesting habit and size suggesting that ecologically the right conditions exist to support velutina.

I've worked there in the winter, if they can live out the winter there here is a breeze.

...the more I hear, the more I'm warming to them, perhaps they should be put on the protected list.

Careful, if they are protected somewhere, the RSPB will be wanting to "re-introduce them" here.

Lynx, are protected and therefore can't be removed from their habitat. So what will they be introducing?

Given that recent RSPB publications have shown they don't know the difference between Asian & Giant Japanese Hornets, perhaps they will be releasing Bobcats?

Last edited:
Back