Apis mellifera ? ... Russian ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooBee...

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2+ nucs
Ok, quick question as I've just spent several minutes on several Russian bee websites without being able to find out what they are, I mean subspecies, I'm guessing that they are A. m. mellifera, but maybe with some introgression? Which would suggest that they are a Form (or Strain is the word I've noticed is used within beekeeping circles) of mellifera, so it would be A. m. mellifera russian?

Does anyone know of a website (to an article) that provides DNA analysis on them?

Do you mean Russian bees in Amerikan websites or bees in Putin's Russia?

If you mean Russian bee in USA. Russian bees from Primorski area are hybrids of Middle Russian black bee, Caucasian bee, Carpatica bees and Carniolan bees.

Many keeps Carpatica bees as Carniolans. Ukraine prefers Carpatica name. I believe that it is a Trade mark name when they sell queens.

Find the research : " genemap Russian bee" ......... Comprehensive...

Last edited:
Am I correct in my understanding in that the Apis mellifera carpatica is NOT a scientifically recognized subspecies? Is it (from a more scientific perspective) a Form (Strain in Beekeeper language) of the subspecie A. m. carnica?

Am I correct in my understanding in that the Apis mellifera carpatica is NOT a scientifically recognized subspecies? Is it (from a more scientific perspective) a Form (Strain in Beekeeper language) of the subspecie A. m. carnica?

That has nothing to do with science.

Apis mellifera is splitted already to 50 races. And you may split it more and more with some reason.

Last edited:
That has nothing to do with science.

Apis mellifera is splitted already to 50 races. And you may split it more and more with some reason.

One thing I find confusing in beekeeping circles is the use of non-scientific terms, usually the name "race" is used for Subspecie and "strain" for Form, but I think I understand what you mean.

I think here in the UK we would call the Russian bee a Heinz 57 variety, like what you get at the local dog pound, having been picked up from the street - as strong and healthy as an ox! ... because all the weaker ones died :eek:

One thing I find confusing in beekeeping circles is the use of non-scientific terms, usually the name "race" is used for Subspecie and "strain" for Form, but I think I understand what you mean.

I think here in the UK we would call the Russian bee a Heinz 57 variety, like what you get at the local dog pound, having been picked up from the street - as strong and healthy as an ox! ... because all the weaker ones died :eek:

More likely the Russian strains are purer than ours given their geography.

Think you would also find that most Russian beekeepers breed their own as they can't afford to buy in queens as we do. So there is less chance of their bees crossing with non native bees.

Russian bee has a certain meaning in the beekeeping world.

I thought that you was serious when asking the genes.

Last edited:

Catch such bug and sent it to some genemapping laboratory

Think you would also find that most Russian beekeepers breed their own as they can't afford to buy in queens as we do. So there is less chance of their bees crossing with non native bees.

In Russia beekeeping is a hobby of very rich people. They can buy there what they want.

But now, I bet , the question was about Amerikan Russian bees, whose origin is in Primorski region, near Vladivostok.

Last edited:
Russian bee has a certain meaning in the beekeeping world.

I thought that you was serious when asking the genes.

I am serious, that's why I asked for help, from my Internet searches I've concluded that the Russina bee is a mixture of European subspecies starting from Slovenia, through the Carpathian mountains, Ukraine, Georgia and the Urals, being migrated to Russia's (Siberia's) Far East... reminded me a very little of an accidental Buckfast.

philipm; said:
less chance of their bees crossing with non native bees

I gather all their bees (in Siberia) are non-natives, similar to ours.

I am serious, that's why I asked for help, from my Internet searches I've concluded that the Russina bee is a mixture of European subspecies starting from Slovenia, through the Carpathian mountains, Ukraine, Georgia and the Urals, being migrated to Russia's (Siberia's) Far East... reminded me a very little of an accidental Buckfast.

Russian people have moved them in hives, and they are still moving.

Primorski region's latitude is equal to South France.

Siberian railway was made 100 years ago, and it went to town of Vladivostok.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back