Anyone tried, seen, touched the poly hive from maisemore

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for putting the pictures up 2Dive. Looks a good set up but as you say, them runners look like not lasting long but an easy to do job especially if you do it before you glue. Cant really work it out but is the groove in the picture for a spacer runner? If so then super easy to do.

Thanks for putting the pictures up 2Dive. Looks a good set up but as you say, them runners look like not lasting long but an easy to do job especially if you do it before you glue. Cant really work it out but is the groove in the picture for a spacer runner? If so then super easy to do.

The groove has been included to fit a frame spacer runner, as you say it would be very easy to remove the built it frame rest.

Last edited:
I do my roofs. £ 4 a piece. IT is price of metall sheet. Roofs have lids. That is a speciality.
Very easy to do.

My friend made new roofs, but they are all leaking. Not money to buy metall sheets.

Many moons ago my father had a small steel stockholding business. I could have got as my galvanised sheets as I needed but along with the rest of British industry it's long gone

Many moons ago my father had a small steel stockholding business. I could have got as my galvanised sheets as I needed but along with the rest of British industry it's long gone

We have still companies which do roofs from galvanized steel. I need not pay terrible prices for simple rain roof. To me beekeeping is not art hobby.

Go and talk to a local printer for used aluminium litho sheets

If they're chewing from the outside that won't help :nono:
If he makes an underfloor it will remove the landing board that the mice is standing on to chew . The paynes polys do have a nice big step at the entrance fronts .

If he makes an underfloor it will remove the landing board that the mice is standing on to chew . The paynes polys do have a nice big step at the entrance fronts .

Far simpler to buy a cat, or get one free from a rescue center. Never had a problem since we got ours. Ours likes lying on the warm poly roofs watching the bees go by.

If they're chewing from the outside that won't help :nono:

They are chewing the entrance, they can get access to it. With an UFE the brood sits flush on top, they'd have to eat through the side wall. The other advantage is the floor being the same footprint as the hive.

They are chewing the entrance, they can get access to it. With an UFE the brood sits flush on top, they'd have to eat through the side wall. The other advantage is the floor being the same footprint as the hive.

I use UFE's myself.
I meant that if they were chewing from the outside/any side, they can climb, so an underfloor entrance would not prevent that.

Last edited:
maisemore poly hive

I have recently purchased a poly hive from Maisemore apiaries. It was so easy put together. Dove tailed joints then a little Polydent glue then screwed together{it comes with the screws}. It feels really solid and is a bit thicker than a few others that I have seen. As to the built in runner,,,i would leave it as it helps you get your hive tool under it and cutting it down would make it very hard to pick the frames up...I am going to buy another one as im so impressed with it. I have also painted it {brick red} with extra smooth masonry paint {two coats} outside only. ,,,danny

Modern beekeeping are about to supply Honey Paws from Finland ....Langstroth only

They had them at the convention in Harper Adams. The poly seemed to be good; superior to the home grown. I liked the two, four framed nucs which together had the same foot print as a full size box. The edges were square, not rebated, so they will be compatible with other boxes.

Modern beekeeping are about to supply Honey Paws from Finland ....Langstroth only

Looking forward to that! Some of their products are very good design and quality. They make three different poly floor combinations: solid, mesh and a mesh which can be closed in winter (or used with a pollen trap). I bet they will be a lot more expensive here than in Finland! I tried to order some direct once, but the shipping was prohibitive.

Shame that it has been made as a four piece box.

That's pretty obsolete, and could be the function of saving money on the mould costs, or for shipping. Keeping it cheap was why we made the original National/Smith as a four piece, and its obsolete now too.

I only every buy the one piece type now......and watch the bee space. The ones that are half and half are a real PITA when mixed with normal top or bottom bee space gear.

Eric told me the idea was to save on delivery charges when the big boys ordered 100s

Regards

S

so what the massive issue with the 4 piece dove tailed poly hives?

and why are the single piece moulds better?

Each to his own, but it is possible to make an insulated wooden roof which is superior in performance to some of the roofs available from suppliers.

Latest posts

Back