Anyone tried, seen, touched the poly hive from maisemore

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickndoris

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I see Maisemore now have in poly national hives and at a pretty good price. The built in runners put me off a bit but of course a little trim with a knife would sort that out if needed. Anyone have one or seen one ref quality etc? Flat pack. Look like they might screw together?

I saw some at the honey show. They were a different colour, but of the same beaded construction as Paynes hives. I am unable to comment on their suitability for purpose or likely durability.
Their poly. nucleus hives took six frames, which I like. It is easy to 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 frames into such a nucleus, but devilishly difficult to fit, say, 5 frames into a 4 frame box!

Last edited:
Still I wonder. English companies have their own production and still the price of polyboxes are almost double compared to Finland.

I suppose that you that you may glue the box joints with PU-glue. A little bit water mist on plastic surface and then glue. 15 minutes and it is hardened. Water hardens PU glue.

Nucleus has huge price. £44.

Split Langstroth box with table saw and you get 2 nuclei. Make a missing wall and the roof from Kingspan. Glue it wth PU + nail.

Mere nuc box in Finland £10

Last edited:
Look -like they might screw together?

Wrong shape to screw together but you could screw the parts together if you so wished. I doubt they supply more screws than those that hold the floor mesh in position?

Its described as having dovetail joints? I think one would glue for sure.The pictures show screws or maybe pins? I would get one just to be curious and do a good copare/ comparison to the Paynes (which I mainly have) as they have annoying little faults as in the brood box only just fits that extra frame in with a fair bit of force unless you sand 1-2 mm off the inside for example. But £4 short of a £100 inc post? Mmmmmm. They do look neat especially with the smaller alighting board...........

I love the Paynes nuc. Cut out feeder, make entrance bigger, put in metal runners and it becomes so adaptable with a blanking sheet. They just need to put in a sliding inspection/solid floor. Had a double brood one going this year so 16 14x12ss with 4 supers on. They have done very very well!

Nucleus has huge price. £44.
Dunno where you get that price from - the national deep is £31.50, including an eke to make it 14x12 is £39.50 - both come inclusive of a miller feeder - if you buy ten or more they are even cheaper

Split Langstroth box with table saw and you get 2 nuclei.

Pretty useless if you're working nationals :D

Looks like a nice bit of kit and at a fairly good price. Need a couple of dozen new hives for next season so will pop in when visiting family over Christmas and have a look and see what price I can get.
S

the brood box only just fits that extra frame in with a fair bit of force

Do you mean the 12th with hoffman frames? I somehow doubt there is sufficient bee space in that scenario, so better to run with 11 plus a dummy board? But there are slightly narrower examples if you search around.

Then send us some...does that price include delivery to UK.

When I last time, 2 years ago bought langstroth medium boxes, price was £ 8 a piece. IT seems that there is Air in that business.

Cut a piece from the box away, glue the parts with PU, and you have a nuc box.

I do not use any more kingspan as a hive part. Ants are real nuisance, when they make nests into kingspan.

Last edited:
When I last time bought langstroth medium boxes, price was £ 8 a piece. IT seems that there is Air in that business.

What about the national poly nucs for £10 each, is that including delivery to UK, any news yet?

Do poly bee hive sellers in Finland have a website that we can check their prices and contact for postage to the UK?

...The built in runners put me off a bit but of course a little trim with a knife would sort that out if needed. ...

It will function as a runner, so what bothers you about it? Once you've cut it away, how will you replace it?

Do poly bee hive sellers in Finland have a website that we can check their prices and contact for postage to the UK?

We have 5 big beekeeping sellers... At least.

Honey Paw and Paradise Honey produce themselves the poly hives..
.Boath owners are too among biggest hive owners.

Finnish postage prices are huge.

Shame that it has been made as a four piece box.

That's pretty obsolete, and could be the function of saving money on the mould costs, or for shipping. Keeping it cheap was why we made the original National/Smith as a four piece, and its obsolete now too.

I only every buy the one piece type now......and watch the bee space. The ones that are half and half are a real PITA when mixed with normal top or bottom bee space gear.

Shame that it has been made as a four piece box.
I only every buy the one piece type now......and watch the bee space....

Do you mean a box like the Paynes hives all moulded as one? That's the only one I know about (and I don't like the Paynes boxes - but for different reasons). Are there any others, particularly Nationals?

Kitta

Back