Anti-biotics and bees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theeggman

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 Cedar + 5 Poly
I am currently on 'Doxycycline' for an infection and y'day as previously posted a little "bee" zapped me 100 mts from the hives.

Today in a similar spot planting spuds I was buzzed by a bee or 2.
I thought pheremones from y'day, shower, change of clothes etc.

Didn't work, did get me out of planting the remaining spuds however, still being buzzed by bees. SWMBO is being ignored by them.

Am I a bee magnet whilst on the drugs? Normally we walk up to within 6 ft of the colonies and no reaction.

As an add on: I currently "enjoy" IBS but whilst on anti-biotics the problem has gone away, a discussion with my GP for next visit.

And yes the drug has brought me back to beekeeping normality whatever that is!!

Last edited:
Question: Has Dr. advised taking probiotic yoghurt , or similar, while on antibiotics? That might account for the improvement in IBS symptoms. Antibiotics are renowned for making it worse, by killing off the useful bacteria as well as the targetted nasties.

RAB

Question: Has Dr. advised taking probiotic yoghurt , or similar, while on antibiotics? That might account for the improvement in IBS symptoms. Antibiotics are renowned for making it worse, by killing off the useful bacteria as well as the targetted nasties.

RAB

I agree with RAB on this one. Just been through the camera up and down and I have been diagnosed with IBS. I was attacked by a cockle a couple of weeks ago, his spurs punctured my knee and I needed antibiotics. I took live yoghurt and had no problems with IBS while taking the pills.

The bees could have been attracted to your aftershave!!!:icon_204-2:

regards

Mike

The bees could have been attracted to your aftershave!!!

I believe it can have an effect.......Same as fabric conditioner..
so they say.

Probiotic yogurt mixed with granola in the morning does my IBS the world of good. Lots of excersise does wonders too

No probiotic, change of washing powder etc. and no aftershave. the only change is the anti-. I have read that there is some talk of IBS being caused by bacteria as per stomach ulcers. Whatever, the change of symptoms if very welcome even if only temporary.

I thought I would raise the issue to forewarn others that it may be linked, antis- and getting buzzed that is.

No probiotic, change of washing powder etc. and no aftershave. the only change is the anti-. I have read that there is some talk of IBS being caused by bacteria as per stomach ulcers. Whatever, the change of symptoms if very welcome even if only temporary.

I thought I would raise the issue to forewarn others that it may be linked, antis- and getting buzzed that is.

I would strongly doubt that there was a causal connection between bee behaviour and humans taking antibiotics.

Since this is the start of the beekeeping season, any change in personal care products (branding or formulation) would likely need comparison with six months ago. And personal care products are often responsible for individuals being "singled out" by bees.

The other, rather commonplace, explanation would lie with the bees. Either an autumn supercedure leading to different genetics, or even that one Q is now using sperm from an aggressive-stock drone (sperm mixing in the spermatheca isn't always perfect, resulting in changing characteristics from the same Q over time). Or it might be that something was bothering a colony - for which there are a range of possibilities from robbing to a rocking hive stand, being Q- or even varroa infestation (high varroa correlates sometimes with bad temper, and one family of varroa-vectored viruses results in increased aggression).

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the anitbiotics. Amoxcillin makes my urine smell odd (possibly TMI but it is in the interests of science!)and a quick google reveals doxycycline has similar effects reported. Sweat has basically the same ingredients as urine (ok different proportions and concentrations, but basically the same). So it is probable that anti biotics make you smell different. Whether this is enough to attract unwanted attention from the bees is another matter I guess, but it must be a possibility.

Last edited:
I have been on doxycycline as well last week, my girls were as placid as ever.
Amoxicillin this week and still lovelly.
I don't think there is any correlation here.

Maybe your bees don't like you anymore?

I am not an expert on antibiotics but I do know that our doctor prescribes an antibiotic to children which he calls 'banana medicine' because it is yellow and smells and tastes of bananas. I know from personal experience that there is a pheromone in ripe bananas which causes bees to come for you. Perhaps there is a link between the children's antibiotic and the one prescribed to the op.

I was attacked by a cockle a couple of weeks ago,
I'm so sorry, but this really tickled me! :sorry:

PS We are in cockle country round here - one can't be too careful...

PPS back on topic, I have a lady who buys honey from me, who started feeding it to her husband without his knowledge. Since she started, his Crohn's has improved dramatically. I realise it's not the same as IBS, but it was a very definite improvement for him.

Last edited:
To clarify a few points:

As stated in post #6 I raised this issue as a possible forewarning that antibiotics and bees "may" not mix.

The ONLY thing that has changed about me is the pills, same washing and other personal care products as previous years,(I'm a boring old f**t).

We went through all hives 10 days ago, pre. pills, no smoke as normal and no issues or followers, they were their normal placid selves. My OH has been out gardening in the proximity of the hives and NO issues other than the odd bee bouncing off her if she was on the flightpath.

I'm not saying it is or isn't a problem but please just keep it mind if you need antibiotics.

Last pill today so with luck the problem will go away soon.

P.S. The IBS is still absent, I await what happens over the next few days.

Last edited:
I regularly have to take antibiotics and I've never noticed a difference. I've only been on doxycycline twice though, usually it's amoxicillin, erythromycin and clarithromycin.

I'm not saying it is or isn't a problem but please just keep it mind if you need antibiotics.

Last pill today so with luck the problem will go away soon.

I am sorry for being a pedant here, but this (quote) is you saying that antibiotics effect your bees behaviour.

It is very unlikely and hopefully doesn't dissuade people from taking their prescription medicine for fear of an unwanted result.

Personally I think instead of blaming something completely unrelated for your bees behaviour. I would try to find out what the real reason is.

Lots of good suggestions here, probably more to follow. People trying to help.

Lost newbies?

I tend to get "pinged" well away from my apiary every year at about this time.

My theory is that these are new foragers; that have got lost during their orientation flights, have ended up wandering around my allotment on the wrong side of a 6' fence and are now turning aggressive out of sheer panic.

When hives are expanding as fast as possible into the spring all sorts of problems are know to occur (EFB anyone?) and I suspect that new bees are being drafted as foragers before they are ready - remember that there seems to be a steady progression of various organs maturing. So, perhaps their sense of direction has not fully matured (or whatever part of their brain that is).

So, for what it is worth, my advice is to keep calm, dodge the sad little lost souls and hope that they will find their way home.

It all seems to calm down after the spring.

it could be as simple as you are wearing darker clothing than your wife, or cause a darker shadow.

Bees don't like primates that tend to raid their hives!

Back