Amusing questions about your bees......

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They say that humour is good for the soul, and I am reminded of the story of the two frogs sitting by the lily pond, catching flies.

Frog 1: Doesn't time fly when you're having fun?

Frog 2: And isn't time fun when you're having flies?

Frog 1: Yes, time flies when you're having fun.

Frog 2: It sure does. Time flies like an arrow!

Frog 1: Yes, and fruit flies like a banana!

I got a swarm earlier this year - came into the garden then the hive
What does everyone ask? (including beekeepers)
"Where did they come from"
How the hell would I know - I don't talk bee!

Lean your head to one side, place your ear slightly closer to the cluster, then look back and the person asking and proclaim:

Barnsley!

Their reply will probably (90% of time) be 'Ooh ok'.

The most likely correct answer would have been, “From one of my colonies.” ! (Ok, maybe not ...)

My favourite is still "Do you make honey?" Answer "No I don't my bees do". Always breaks the ice.

Since I got my bees last year everyone I encounter thinks I am some kind of bee expert. I get asked a lot of questions about bees.

Some can be very amusing, here are a few of my favorites:

"Do you shut them in and night and let them out in the morning?"

"So do you just take a few jars over to the hive each week and fill them up?"

"How do you get them to go back into the box at night?" - I've had 2 people ask this.

Please share if you have received any good ones.
so does the queen do anything?

When going to pick up a nucleus in my early days of beekeeping, my stepfather in law asked how we got them home.
My husband told him they were dehydrated, posted out in a paper bag, emptied into a hive and given water.

He believed him completely! Whether that makes my husband a better liar than I gave him credit for or my stepfather in law more gullible than I thought, you can decide.

Mine has to be from last year
“You will need to collect your bees!”
Me: “ok let me get suited up after I look at the outside of the hive “
Neighbour: “ They are in my bathroom”
I nipped round.
Me:” They are wasps not bees”
Neighbour “ They are definitely your bees they are yellow and black “
Me: “ Wasps are yellow and black they are not bees”
Neighbour : “They ARE bees, they are yellow and black”
Me: “ Just because I wear a green and white T- shirt in summer when it’s hot,it does not mean I’m a Celtic supporter!”
Neighbour: “ Apologies I did not mean to insult you”
To be called a Celtic supporter is definitely the ultimate insult!! (Me being a good 'Bluenose ') 😄

When a tree surgeon saw the beehives in our garden he said that I would need to get them in before he could start.
There were not any bees out of my hives anyway. I had arranged for him to arrive at 8am and blocked the entrances the night before.

I have had a good little chuckle every time I have checked in on this thread, so keep them coming.

This one is a little off topic, but has provided me with much amusement.

I got a facebook message this morning telling me it’s illegal to sell honey in 400g jars!

I replied and kindly explained; my jars actually weigh about 200g and hold 400g of honey.

Then I got a series of messages telling me in the UK, honey can only be sold in 1lb, 1/2lb, 12oz or 8oz quantities.

So, I sent him a picture of the honey for sale in ASDA and told him he best tell ASDA that they are breaking the law too.

He stopped sending me messages after that.

When we first had bees my neighbour asked if i had enough flowers in my garden to feed them all.
He/she was asking for free honey. The answer is only if my hive is on your property and then you get one jar per hive per year.

No, but you can find out if one of your hives has swarmed... thereof the question. Bees are not popular with everyone especially if they end up in their cavety wall.

The above is an indictment of our education system!!!
The mind boggles!
I know! I had to explain that each individual bee carried back a 'pin-dot' of nectar that gets converted into honey. I think that they thought I was making it up! :rolleyes:

I have had a good little chuckle every time I have checked in on this thread, so keep them coming.

This one is a little off topic, but has provided me with much amusement.

I got a facebook message this morning telling me it’s illegal to sell honey in 400g jars!

I replied and kindly explained; my jars actually weigh about 200g and hold 400g of honey.

Then I got a series of messages telling me in the UK, honey can only be sold in 1lb, 1/2lb, 12oz or 8oz quantities.

So, I sent him a picture of the honey for sale in ASDA and told him he best tell ASDA that they are breaking the law too.

He stopped sending me messages after that.

It's only recently that the regulations for honey sales changed to allow for a greater variety of sizes - think 1oz was also acceptable back in the day.

My username comes from the bloke at work who asked me why I kept bees "do they make some sort of beejam or something?". Pretty much as soon as the words were out of his mouth he'd realised how foolish he'd been. Still he's one of my best customers now so can't knock him too much.

Back