Amm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats why i asked the questions i had by PM as they werent really relevant to the thread, just for personal interest. "Argument " is a rather strange way of looking at asking questions for the purpose of comparison. Who could have known that those extolling the virtues of their chosen bee would be so sensitive to a private question.

It's the way you do it. Last time it was nasty snipe after a thread was locked.

Last year was indeed a bit inconvenient, I have far less time these days than even a few years ago. I have had to greatly reduce both apiaries and colonies as well. My time should have been directed elsewhere and unfortunately it cost me considerable heartache, something I've had to live with.
I don't try to make a living from selling honey, I doubt I'd want to even if I gave up work. I could get access to OSR and Heather if I was inclined but I don't bother so my hives remain static. In the past ten years I can remember two particularly bad years, 2013 and 2015 but the production colonies still managed c 50lbs. I was quite surprised and the honey from 2015 was particularly nice. In 2008 I had 3 - 4 supers on all and one lot that managed 140 lbs. I'm sure any new beekeeper would be happy with that.
I've no idea why your bees don't do so well.

...C group are notorious for becoming not nice to have if they get a bit of M group in their make up..... just do not try to breed anything!!!

To paraphrase a beekeeper who claims to know stuff...
There should be a section for this Hogwash... which this is!!! oh the irony...:nopity:

Yes, I too have heard that if anything breeds with the M Lineage (Amm mainly, but also Ami) the M's latent aggression can dominate.

To paraphrase a beekeeper who claims to know stuff...
There should be a section for this Hogwash... which this is!!! oh the irony...:nopity:

Yes, I too have heard that if anything breeds with the M Lineage (Amm mainly, but also Ami) the M's latent aggression can dominate.

OR visa versa of course..... that is the pleasure we get from beekeeping...
Majority of us are not looking to read a load of old hogwash I presume... but the amount of old hogwash you spout TooBee.... is enough to drive any new beekeeper away from asking questions on this otherwise quite useful beekeeping forum.

So wind your neck in!

Yeghes da

By the second generation your bees genes are around 75% local bees . They will reflect the temper of the local bee population where you live and shouldn't be compared with the original Buckfast/Italian/Carniolan queens.
Yet another misinterpretation, deliberately in some cases, to make out that pedigree bees are not good. It's the locals they breed with that cause all the aggression problems.

By the second generation your bees genes are around 75% local bees . They will reflect the temper of the local bee population where you live and shouldn't be compared with the original Buckfast/Italian/Carniolan queens.
Yet another misinterpretation, deliberately in some cases, to make out that pedigree bees are not good. It's the locals they breed with that cause all the aggression problems.

You omitted the pedigree Amm !
:calmdown:

Hello, New to beekeeping and want to know what AMM are. Should I get some and if so who sells them in N Wales. Thankyou Julia

Hello Julia. I bet you weren't expecting your second post on the forum to ignite such interest! Good luck with getting your bees - I'm sure if you ask around locally you will find somebody who can help out.

You omitted the pedigree Amm !
:calmdown:

"pedigree" - a genealogical table, chart, list, or record
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/pedigree

Clarification: This is not a sniping question, although I know you (and some others) think I stir things up a bit, all I'm actually doing is probing for facts (truth), etc.

You mention your Cornish Amm's a bit, do you have Pedigrees for them? I'm just curious, your comment quoted above implies you or some other Amm breeders do, most that I've come across don't.

OR visa versa of course..... that is the pleasure we get from beekeeping...
Majority of us are not looking to read a load of old hogwash I presume... but the amount of old hogwash you spout TooBee.... is enough to drive any new beekeeper away from asking questions on this otherwise quite useful beekeeping forum.

So a beek has an A.m.carnica (known for it's docileness) virgin that open mates with A.m.m drones (in which docileness is not a commonly reputed characteristic), and the resulting colony six weeks later is a tad testy; you blame the C, I'll blame the M, and we'll agree to disagree :) ;)

I would feel bad if my constant probing, questions / questioning would prevent anyone from asking questions on this Forum, certainly the vicious trolling that can erupt from some members has driven many members away: But it is the attitude of the Black Bee Brigade (you and others) which has caused me to turn my back on the Amm conservation movement (not the Amm), I'm in the same camp as some others on this Forum.

You really don't see the irony in your Posting and your Reply, in which I am essentially quoting you :icon_204-2:

Had a nice cheery couple trying to give me a "Religious" magazine on my doorstep on Sunday.... sent them packing too!

:ot:

:eek:
That was ME :seeya:
with my imaginary friend ... err you can see my imaginary friend ? :icon_204-2:

;)

nice to see that we can have a disagreement without it becoming unpleasant, thanks :cheers2:

You sound very much like someone else. I've never known a supposed new beekeeper spend so much time researching to criticise one sub species.

The title "Bee Improvement and Bee Breeding" is a bit unclear.

Seems perfectly clear to me... and the small paragraph immediately underneath should explain it for those that find it unclear.

The forum to chat about improving and breeding Native British bee's,apis mellifera mellifera.

Wow. Thank you for all the comments.

Soooooo….. am I right in thinking Amm is a breed of bee?

Amm is native to Wales?

Most beekeepers in Wales keep Amm?

Back