All the Gear No Idea - A Beginners Journey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since there are 3 of us and will be more later it only works out at 1.3 hives each, so not so bad as it looks, but in for a penny.
That was all you had to chip in, after the Lottery grant? :)
Hey, I too like your style!

More seriously, keeping/having a few nuc boxes available and on call would be no bad thing, apart from (at the very least the) one spare hive.

Hi and welcome to the forum, you should start with 2 colonies and have 2 brood boxes, floors, crown boards roofs and stands spare, 3 supers per hive for the first year, flat roofs for placing supers on when doing hive inspections, and a honey extractor, honey strainers, settling tank/buckets jars labels lids. Strong advice, I know you have all done a theory coarse but a practical is a must or a mentor to take you through a hive inspection at leased.

We had many different suggestions as to what to get not get, we got what we got, whether we have bitten off more than we can chew remains to be seen.

We have people to call on if we need we will also going to practical days with the association.

Need another grant for the honey equipment, time to get the begging bowl out again.

Last edited:
That was all you had to chip in, after the Lottery grant? :)
Hey, I too like your style!

More seriously, keeping/having a few nuc boxes available and on call would be no bad thing, apart from (at the very least the) one spare hive.

Didn't have a penny to spare.

We have a full hive as a spare double brood supers etc. We were advised by someone that we needed a spare hive for every hive we had, aye that was going to happen.

Thanks HM

Went down today as weather was OK, fine when I left the house then a hail shower when got there, crazy weather.

To those that suggested it I have rotated the back entrances around a bit so not behind the front ones as much, however as the photograph foreshortens the distances there's about 9 to 10 feet between front and back hives.

The weather warmed up and the apiary came alive with bees all over, I decided it was warm enough to have a quick look at the strongest hive, given the swarm thing I was worried about this one in particular.

Good news is this time I remembered the smoker and managed to light it and keep it alight, using bark, didn't really use it that much as the bees are quiet anyway. For those just started as us, I was concentrating so much on what I was trying to do, that I wasn't at all apprehensive about the bees apart from squashing them.

The first thing I noticed the feeder was very light, its a Gallon feeder put on Thursday evening and most seems to have gone. Onto the hive, given my lack of experience and the weather I was very wary of just doing the minimum. Its a strange sensation first time pulling frames apart with the bees clinging together.

The hive seem strong I didn't really count frames but would say over 5 frames of bees with some out. I seen the Queen in middle frame and haven't the bottle yet to nudge that frame clear. Checked the rest for Queen Cells nothing that I could see, I thought there was one but normal comb being built on bottom of frame. Plenty of sealed brood and some sealed stores, seen larvae and plenty of unsealed stores.

They have started to draw comb on the foundation frames.

One point of panic one frame has come away from the wire so swayed as I looked at it, so I very gingerly put it back. When upto full strength I plan to replace older / damaged comb gradually. On the sealed brood there was one cell that had a dome on it and was higher than the rest, I take it that is a drone cell?

Put it all back together trying not to squash any bees, failed again, I think I got 2. After that it became overcast again and decided it was too cold to take a risk with others so left it at that.

Got away again without being stung, I think its going to be the bus scenario a few at once. Strangely having got back to the cabin, I felt something crawling on my neck yes it was a bee, a young one, don't know if it got in before I went into the apiary or after I had finished taking my hood down. No harm done, but just a week ago I would of been running around like a lunatic.

Last edited:
Perfectly good feeders can be made using litter trays with straw in them,
Paint roller trays work as well... and only 99p

... On the sealed brood there was one cell that had a dome on it and was higher than the rest, I take it that is a drone cell?

Yes, perfectly normal, perhaps up to 10% or so of the brood. 30%+ would be a definite problem!
ADDED - but its often in neat patches on just one or two frames. Which is good ...

With plural hives and beekeepers, keeping (and sharing) good inspection/action records becomes very important. For example that loose comb, someone needs to have a reminder to take along fusewire or whatever to tidy it up, next time the hive is opened.

Last edited:
A bee on your neck means it's worthwhile giving your veil a once over, some of the hoods leave a small gap where zips meet. There is usually some velcro at this point but it's not unknown for bees to enter at this location.

Itma, I have told others, just put Fuse Wire around the bottom and wood ends?
The cell in question was just in the middle of normal sealed brood and only one. Didn't really see much more.

Swarm, the suit is from Sherriff's it has velcro etc. zips meet, its more likely I pulled it up too late or let it down too early or the bee was on me and I didn't really look, before putting the veil down. The bees are quiet so I probably take a few liberty's for someone with little experience

My first hive had a gabled roof, two house bricks on the floor kept it stable and I was able to put supers in it during inspections later in the year. The bricks kept the roof on in the wind too!

... I have told others, just put Fuse Wire around the bottom and wood ends?
Two things there.

A formal hive inspection record and log becomes important with four hives - and essential when there are several different people potentially doing the inspections. Most books have suggestions, others can be found online.

Fixing the broken comb. The bees will try and do it. Probably already have. But their ideas of architecture can owe more to Gaudi than Langstroth.
No rules. Fusewire, cocktail/match sticks, baling twine (!) ... whatever you have to hand, and suits the task presented.
You may have to perform wax surgery to get it out now, so take a long knife. And more than one pair of hands would likely make things much easier...
If you can support the comb in the right place, the bees should reinforce it - but it won't be quite as strong as other frames' comb, so be specially careful to always hold the comb vertically when manipulating it (I expect you've been shown how to properly twirl it for inspection.) Top Bar Hive people never have reinforced comb, and they manage OK.
Nevertheless, the frame needs to be marked (drawing pin code?) so that everyone is cautious with it and its immediate neighbours (because the bees may well build braces to those neighbouring frames), until it can be removed/replaced.

Itma,

Thanks again.

We have copied inspections records from books and also have made sheets up, but it was an imprompture very quick look while weather was OK. We have planned to keep good records of regular inspections but I was very wary of the time and conditions so didn't on this occasion.

location new bee

what area of Manchester are you as i'm M21 just wondering how far away you are to me

Went today to fill up the low contact feeder on strongest hive, checked others 2 of them also empty and last one probably about quarter full. Didn't open up obviously. Is there a knack to changing Contact Feeders without bees getting out, they weren't the happiest bunnies today due to weather.

Weather permitting the inspector is coming to have a look tomorrow.

Well Bee Inspector came today, a chance for me to ask a few question and watch and learn a little.

He was very happy at the condition of the bees and plenty of sealed brood and young bees a few drones kicking about. The strongest one just keeps on growing. Plenty of stores and all Queens are present and correct. What was a bit daunting is that there were 3 Queen Cups one with egg across 2 or 3 of the hives. Very little pollen, which somebody suggested would be the case so have ordered some Neopoll to put on tomorrow.

I will try and get some pictures for those in a similar boat as us and put them up.

Some uneven comb, which Ian said was due to the cold weather and build some Drone cells on top. fairly normal apparently.

Right had them just over a week so mistakes made so far.

Put them in the box in middle and they happily built comb both ways which seems a little unusual, changed them back this morning as 1st chance.

Fed them a gallon of 1 :1 syrup last thing Thursday and took it all, put more on but took it off again to avoid frame lock as just storing it, no room to lay.

On one hive left too big a gap between frame and dummy board and have build out a bit, so can't put it back properly.

As usual some conflicting advice, Ian on frames (big discussion about foundation and Nucs on here) so I suppose will find out who right and who's wrong in due course.

He has warned us to keep a close eye on them or they will be off, he seemed quite impressed with the Queens and the job they were doing.

Quite decent weather today, so all out getting much needed pollen, although forecast not great.

Don't think we are doing too badly, but plenty time for more mistakes and so much to learn, looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Good weather today so off to do really first proper inspection by ourselves.

List of things to do for today.

General clean up of frames, remove spurious comb.

Find and mark Queens.

Check Stores, Brood etc.

Take some pics.

Before I start we had some uninvited guests on Friday who cut through the fence but nothing taken or disturbed, they actually cut into Apiary so no doubt thats what they were after, maybe disturbed. But been on Nightwatchman duties with the bairns (dogs) and my Pinch Bar, so in for a long week I feel.

manged with a bit of a struggle to find the Queens and mark them with a cage, not so sure I didn't damage them as never done it before so was ham fisted, speared a few workers, didn't put the cage on enough initially so couldn't get the queen marked and then maybe too hard, time will tell. I doubt whether I am the 1st or be the last to damage a Queen doing this for the 1st time.

Plenty of stores, brood at all stages and even got a couple of pics of emerging Workers and Drones. Every hive had cups as pics below. All have been drawing foundation out and one has 1 untouched foundation and the rest 2 or 3. The strongest hive is now on 9 frames with 6 / 7 of brood. The rest 7 or 8 with 5 or so of brood.

Checked after marking and all the Queens were back on frames and laying so hopefully I haven't done too much damage.

Sunny up here today so plenty of bees out and flying, put the Neopoll back on as forecast not great, not far off putting a 2nd BB on the strongest hive. I moved the untouched foundation inbetween drawn frames in the hope they will start them off.

Will put pics up tomorrow

Well done, most new beeks can't find queens let alone mark them, keep an eye on the cups but nothing to worry about. No pics!

Gabled roofs may look nice but when you want to lift a super or the top brood chamber off - where do you put it if you don't have a flat roof?

FWIW my suggestion would be to get some learning first or find a beekeeper who can mentor you. Your local association is a good place to start.

Turn the gable roof upside down and put it (or them) there - the bees don't panic thinking they're going to fall - they just carry on, while the numnuts looking after them :rolleyes: wonders if they're going to cope with being on the tilt. OOOHH!

As the voice of experience from using WBC hives 30 or more years ago - they'll be fine - and, you can put 4 supers on the roof without a problem. Probably more but the maximum I ever had was four supers full per hive so never tried any more. :)

Back