Aggressive Bees in Allotment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff4051

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 plus 3 communities
On an inspection this week a number of allotment holders and myself included were bombarded by aggressive bees and stung. Thinking out loud after the inspection if the hive and flying bees around the hive were sprayed with a fine rose connected to a hose pipe would the aggressive bees take refuge in the hive and leave us alone. If not what to do, allotment holders don't like getting stung????????????????????

Move then ... requeen them.. don't inspect when weather is grim.. or there are a lot of them allotmenteers about.

No need to pour petrol on them... and wouldn't the allotmenteers object to having water sprayed on them?

Hiya Jeff,

If I remember, your bees are queenless at present? This can be a problem to other holders and the reason why beekeepers are advised to have an alternative site in case of situations like this.
Leave them alone for a couple of weeks until their new queen is mated and they should settle down again. As long as this was in reaction to the inspection and not bees flying around the place mugging anyone on a day to day basis, it should work out ok.

No need to pour petrol on them... and wouldn't the allotmenteers object to having water sprayed on them?
not as much as they would for petrol..

Move then ... requeen them.. don't inspect when weather is grim.. or there are a lot of them allotmenteers about.

I totally agree with Icanhopit. As idyllic as it may sound to have bees in the allotment I think you are asking for trouble long term. I would move them ASAP. It may be that they were aggressive for a reason i.e the weather or a treatment you were using etc or it may be that they are just nasty. If it is the latter re queening is a good way of altering behavior but it takes time. But, move them as a matter of urgency IMHO.

Andy

Too many societys don't discuss it properly before bees get on site and then have to make a rush decision when emotions are usually high.

Should really have a plan in place for agressive bees.

Definately should make the decision what to do if someone on site proves to be allergic whether that is, let the plotholder take his chance, get rid of teh bees of ask the plotholder to leave.

If they did it beforehand it would save a lot of hassle and arguments, what tends to happen the site spilts into two sides who just end up arguing.

Hiya Jeff,

If I remember, your bees are queenless at present? This can be a problem to other holders and the reason why beekeepers are advised to have an alternative site in case of situations like this.
Leave them alone for a couple of weeks until their new queen is mated and they should settle down again. As long as this was in reaction to the inspection and not bees flying around the place mugging anyone on a day to day basis, it should work out ok.

I agree with the above. Honestly, bees can co-exist happily with allotments if you are prepared to leave the bees alone if they are getting tetchy (providing leaving them alone does the trick - if gratuitously aggressive you have to accept the onus is on you act quickly to remove, re-queen or at worst pour petrol). I go to considerable trouble to find out what days my neighbours are least likely to be on their plots (usually Mondays) and inspect the bees accordingly. Family picnic on the next door plot? Sigh inwardly but put off inspection. A pot of honey goes down well with neighbouring plot-holders . It wouldn't suit beekeepers used to running a large number of colonies, but here and on a small scale evreryone is very well disposed to the bees.
Mel

On an inspection this week a number of allotment holders and myself included were bombarded by aggressive bees and stung. Thinking out loud after the inspection if the hive and flying bees around the hive were sprayed with a fine rose connected to a hose pipe would the aggressive bees take refuge in the hive and leave us alone. If not what to do, allotment holders don't like getting stung????????????????????

This is a common problem, you have to move them and sooner rather than later.
We had a colony on our allotments that did the same and caused a lot of bad feeling. By moving them quickly we were able to then negotiate a separate space away from the plots where three or four people could keep bees without fear of upsetting other plot holders.
Three other allotments locally had the same experience and because the beekeeper didn't move them promptly they have now completely banned bees from plots and there are no hives at all on site.
There's no doubt that at some time or other bees will get defensive and when that develops into following and attacking a shared space can be a disaster.

Yes they were queenless at the time, it was only a few aggressive bees after the inspection. We have a screen around, but a much better one to totally enclose them is needed. Otherwise they will have to be moved. Cheers

I ha a colony go Q- and I have had to be extra careful and make sure no one was around to get targeted. Even supportive members will lose sympathy if it interferes with their own enjoyment.

Yes they were queenless at the time, it was only a few aggressive bees after the inspection. We have a screen around, but a much better one to totally enclose them is needed. Otherwise they will have to be moved. Cheers

I know what you mean but it did make me smile.

If your hive is Q- now have they the means or in the process of raising a queen as this can calm them hopelessly Q- and they are in panic.

The answer is to leave them alone. They are awaiting their new queen, there is no reason to inspect them until such time that you would expect her to be laying. In all probability, if not being disturbed, there will be no incident.

This week the Princess decided to become a Queen a Royal Procession of 30,000 bees saw her off, it was an impressive sight lasting approx. 20 mins. The first one I have seen. Hopefully in 3 weeks on the inspection it will be quieter.

Back