AFB Vaccine

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its rare here too Michael. The prevalence is exaggerated in peoples minds due to there invariably being some kind of press release when there is a finding, at least thats the case in Scotland. In our own outfit we have had 7 cases of AFB since 1950....which will be closing in on 150000 hive seasons..and all in remote areas from here. The economics alone tell me this is not a product we would be investing in.

Wish the same were true of EFB........
Amen to that. Something new here really. Never saw EFB until a few years ago. Haven’t bought in bees or queens in a very long time. I’ve now got migratory apiaries around me…you just can’t place 2 million hives in almonds without issues down the road when they go home.

Today in the local newspaper comes the recognition of the AFB vaccine from Dalan Animal Health, it is an award given to the Zendal pharmaceutical group for human and animal health research.

I don't think that any of us will be able to afford the cost of vaccinating all our queens. I also don't think that's the intention of the program.
To me, if the apiaries raising and selling many thousands of queens were to vaccinate their breeder queens, the effect would be huge,
immediate, and with limited costs.

The Delaplane interview link that I posted in #35 of this thread seems to be saying (very start of the video) that the vaccine is very much tied to the vaccinated queen with greatly reduced efficacy after a swarm/supersedure. Seems like a treadmill that none of us need to be on.

In the local newspaper article it indicates that a field evaluation is being carried out with 400 hives for 2 years. It also specifies that the queen and her daughters are immunized because the antigen is poured at some point before the egg is laid. There is one point that is not specified and that is whether the drones are also vaccinated.

just for fun... i loved some of the alternative answers though.... :LOL:

Attachments

• AFB 2023-11-18 140123.jpg
    AFB 2023-11-18 140123.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
Back