AFB Vaccine

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So for those looking to buy Queen Bees from overseas prepare for a price increase. As I am sure the powers that be will insist on all bees coming into the UK from abroad being vaccinated.

Yes indeed. Apologies if it wasn't clear that I was making a joke. Perhaps I should pay more attention to my daughter, who regularly tells me that I'm "just not funny".

James
I think most of us got it!

This Friday's piece by David Evans is about this vaccine. Having read it I'm thinking a genuinely useful product is a little way off yet.

James

This Friday's piece by David Evans is about this vaccine. Having read it I'm thinking a genuinely useful product is a little way off yet.

James
Or so far in the distant future that it's hardly worth thinking about for a lot of us .... perhaps you young guns might have some hope !

An interesting overview from Keith Delaplane on the Bob Binnie YouTube channel:

With AFB, I read on here a post from Finman that AFB can be in a hive for two years subclinically.
I can't find the post now, but does anyone know where (what research) he may have go that info from?

Here in Vermont, our incidence of AFB is very low. I quit using TM prophylactically many decades ago...and held my breath. No outbreak. With such a low incidence, why would I use such a product. Now, if they could come up with a vaccine to control viruses, I would be all ears. I'm hoping the RNAi program comes up with something.
Its rare here too Michael. The prevalence is exaggerated in peoples minds due to there invariably being some kind of press release when there is a finding, at least thats the case in Scotland. In our own outfit we have had 7 cases of AFB since 1950....which will be closing in on 150000 hive seasons..and all in remote areas from here. The economics alone tell me this is not a product we would be investing in.

Wish the same were true of EFB........

Attachments

• 096EA174-F25E-47F4-8792-CAA058E1F39D.png
    096EA174-F25E-47F4-8792-CAA058E1F39D.png
    931.2 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back