advice needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shabro

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a colony which has a queen which hatched a couple of weeks back , that I knew had a queen in and noticed eggs in last week, no problem I thought, until a visit today and I noticed that all the worker cells that there are larvae in are starting to be drawn out and be domed, like drone brood..... so does this mean that she is unmated, and a drone laying queen, or do I give her a while longer to see if she will come right?
Sorry if this post seems daft but I've 3 hives now with what were virgin queens last week, I've requeened one that had lost theirs totally and the other I have seen the queen but I'm now hoping that she has mated and will start laying soon.

When first brood have been capped, you surely see what they are when you compare to normal capped worker brood. Drone capping will be quite round.

I have a colony which has a queen which hatched a couple of weeks back , that I knew had a queen in and noticed eggs in last week, no problem I thought, until a visit today and I noticed that all the worker cells that there are larvae in are starting to be drawn out and be domed, like drone brood..... so does this mean that she is unmated, and a drone laying queen, or do I give her a while longer to see if she will come right?
Sorry if this post seems daft but I've 3 hives now with what were virgin queens last week, I've requeened one that had lost theirs totally and the other I have seen the queen but I'm now hoping that she has mated and will start laying soon.

When you say a couple just how many weeks?

It does sound like a DLQ.

Likely, as Tom was alluring to, that a DLQ will not start laying just a couple of weeks after emerging (eggs 'hatch'). Normally a month or more is typical for an out and out drone layer. The first brood capped could be drone for a freshly mated queen but it should not persist long.

Patience. You have no input, now, as to whether the queens are OK or not.

Edit: on May 31 you said you had given her 'just over 3 weeks at the minute'. Times are important.

Last edited:
Likely, as Tom was alluring to, that a DLQ will not start laying just a couple of weeks after emerging (eggs 'hatch'). Normally a month or more is typical for an out and out drone layer. The first brood capped could be drone for a freshly mated queen but it should not persist long.

Patience. You have no input, now, as to whether the queens are OK or not.

Edit: on May 31 you said you had given her 'just over 3 weeks at the minute'. Times are important.
That was for another colony, I ended up with 3 virgin queens.

right had a look today and nothings changed much, they look like baubles all over the frames, not big enough to be queen cups. and the other hive I was waiting on hasnt started laying yet....
one good thing is that the queen i bought in for the first hive is now laying...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back