Absolute beginners

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
There is a Tuition day, April 18th 2015, covering all that you need to know in the first 2 years of beekeeping. Live in Sussex and interested? - pm me. £50 (£10 discount for B&L members)

Hi Heather,
Just a thought. One day courses are all well and good, but they are not a quick fix.
Please could the instructor tell all his pupils to go home and learn it after the talk, in not so many words, as most people will not be able to retain all that information in my experience. How many people has the forum told to go on a beginners course only to be told that the person in question already has been on one.

This was my first year, i cant see how a course can tell you all you need to know for your first 2 years in one day, in fact i wouldnt bother, i would read as many books as you can, go to club meets & other courses as you need them, a course like that may teach you a lot in a day but a lot of it will go in one ear. & out the other. I read ted hoopers book, guide to bees & honey, right through 3 times when i started, i am still learning new things from that book. I would maybe do that course after your first year when it will sink in more. Sometimes people forget how much there is to take in for a beginner.

Last edited:
If it includes a copy of the haynes bee manual and an instruction to sign up to this forum then it's probably very useful! :)

There is a Tuition day, April 18th 2015, covering all that you need to know in the first 2 years of beekeeping. Live in Sussex and interested? - pm me. £50 (£10 discount for B&L members)

Scam?

There are lots of different ways to learn and the best way is to do all of them. Reading, watching, listening and doing will build strong foundations. It is the same for studying a subject at uni. Try as many styles of learning you can and your learning will be stronger. Courses are good for making new friends too

Yep.......I agree
E

+1 ... Far too harsh, it's probably part of Brighton and Lewes Assoc programme and they are a good association by all accounts. I've seen 'taster' days advertised by commercial organisations with costs of £125 to £150 advertised. Even a day's convention fee is between £12.50 and £18 these days. £50 for the basics is not a bad investment and will either lead people into beekeeping and more learning (classroom/books/practical) or will put them off for life. With a basic package of beekeeping equipment now costing several hundred pounds I would suggest it's a good investment for anyone thinking of taking up beekeeping. Perhaps not ALL the information they will need but enough to assess what they MAY need.

That's very rude Afermo. Heather has posted on here for years. You should apologise.
Cazza

Point taken - too strong though in essence on the right lines imho.

Point taken - too strong though in essence on the right lines imho.

Depends if it comes with refreshments, food etc. I think you know too little to make a statement like that. A scam is where you are tricked into something. This is a polite invitation that you can accept or not. I encourage people to go on a course prior to keeping bees. I feel sure more information would be forthcoming for people to make an informed decision if they were to contact the op. Just seemed a very unfair comment to me, but hey, what do I know!
Maybe I should apply myself!
E ;)

Depends if it comes with refreshments, food etc. I think you know too little to make a statement like that. A scam is where you are tricked into something. This is a polite invitation that you can accept or not. I encourage people to go on a course prior to keeping bees. I feel sure more information would be forthcoming for people to make an informed decision if they were to contact the op. Just seemed a very unfair comment to me, but hey, what do I know!
Maybe I should apply myself!
E ;)

After a rethink, I reckon neither an apology or my earlier post is relevant. The fact is that if novice or even more experienced beekeepers wish to obtain the best beekeeping experience and knowledge, the first place to go is to their local BKA apiary events (if they have one as they should if they are any good) when they would have the cost free benefit of hands-on and a wider knowledge base from more than a single "expert". For that reason, the offer of tuition from yet another source advertising her wares on this forum is not appropriate at any price in my opinion. I thought commercial advertising was banned anyway, even if it is only at a comparatively minor cost compared with some operatives in that field?

After a rethink, I reckon neither an apology or my earlier post is relevant. The fact is that if novice or even more experienced beekeepers wish to obtain the best beekeeping experience and knowledge, the first place to go is to their local BKA apiary events (if they have one as they should if they are any good) when they would have the cost free benefit of hands-on and a wider knowledge base from more than a single "expert". For that reason, the offer of tuition from yet another source advertising her wares on this forum is not appropriate at any price in my opinion. I thought commercial advertising was banned anyway, even if it is only at a comparatively minor cost compared with some operatives in that field?

Maybe a little more information would be helpful from the poster.

Take it or leave it. No need to have a bee in your bonnet boom boom tch.

Maybe a little more information would be helpful from the poster.
There's a poster linked from the Brighton and Lewes association web site.

The cost seems in the usual range for association courses with volunteer tutors. Covers some handouts, some refreshment, maybe hall hire, AV equipment and contribution to a pool of protective gear for a practical session. For a commercially run course, expect 200+ a day.

Bee keeping Tuition
Ever wondered 'Just what goes on in a hive?'
If you have got your bees within the last year, or yet to get your colony,
qualified tutors are holding a Tuition Day
to teach fundamental bee care and offer bee keeping advice.
The course covers the following topics:-
Bee biology, the bee colony, types and siting of a hive,
the bee year, queens, swarming, pests and disease,
plants for bees and forage, honey and hive products.....
AND how to get started.
There will be a 'hands on' opportunity with a hive.
If you would like to attend, initially please contact Heather McNiven
to express interest and confirm availability,.
Venue:- Newick, East Sussex
April 18th 9am – 5pm ... £50
(£10 discount to B&L Members)
Lunch provided
Protective jackets/ hood will be provided unless you have your own.
Come with thick trousers (not jeans) wellies and rubber gloves.
[email protected] TEL 01825 722066

There's a poster linked from the Brighton and Lewes association web site.

The cost seems in the usual range for association courses with volunteer tutors. Covers some handouts, some refreshment, maybe hall hire, AV equipment and contribution to a pool of protective gear for a practical session. For a commercially run course, expect 200+ a day.

My association provides free tuition to members but does charge a pound for tea and cake/biscuits at winter indoor sessions. Outdoor practical sessions at the apiary are free during the spring /summer plus treatment/feeding sessions where treatment and syrup are sold at advantageous (to the members) rates.
:)

My association provides free tuition to members but does charge a pound for tea and cake/biscuits at winter indoor sessions. Outdoor practical sessions at the apiary are free during the spring /summer plus treatment/feeding sessions where treatment and syrup are sold at advantageous (to the members) rates.
:)

+1 for free hands on support and training.

I think 1 day 'taster days' can be worth going to - the one I did in no way suggested it would tell you "everything you need to know" BUT it is a chance to actually get hands-on with the bees, and let you feel what it is like really close-up to a hive, and indicate if you are comfortable handling thousands of insects who can sting! At that point you can back away gracefully if its not for you! I agree the cheapest way to do it may be with a local associateon, but I don't resent the £45 I paid as it was planned as a day out during a holiday.

Back